Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Day 96: Vegetable Tian

Winter has arrived yet again! I almost had to move my operations indoors because the wind was so bad. I don't know how it can blow from every direction at once. Even my garage wasn't safe. But I made it through.
I am really liking roasted veggies right now. I love the flavor and look of them. They would be even better if they were fresh from my garden, but this time of year we just have to make do with what we have. They are still delicious. I found this recipe on the Internet, unfortunately, I can't remember where, so my apologies to the site owner. If I can find where I got it I'll post it! Please note that the amount of veggies is just a guide. How much you need will depend on the size of your pan and how tightly you place them.
Vegetable Tian
12" dutch oven
Olive oil
2 yellow onions, cut in half and sliced
2 cloves minced garlic
1 lb. medium round potatoes
3/4 lb. sliced zucchini
1 lb. sliced tomatoes (I used romas)
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1 Tbs. fresh thyme leaves (I used 1 1/2 tsp dried)
2 oz. Parmesan cheese, grated
In your DO over about 20 coals, Saute the onion in 2 Tbs. olive oil until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute. Remove from heat and spread out on the bottom of the pan. Slice the potatoes, zucchini and tomatoes. Layer them alternately in the DO on top of the onions, fitting them tightly, making only one layer. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and thyme leaves. Drizzle with 1 more Tbs. of olive oil. Cover and bake at 375* for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake 30 minutes more. I used 18 coals on top and 9 on the bottom. I also replenished about 1/2 of the coals after the first 30 minutes. Serve warm. Serves 4-6.
The Finished Product

Isn't that beautiful?
The Review
These were really good. I love the flavor of roasted veggies. My kids weren't overly thrilled, but there wasn't a drop left after dinner, so they didn't hate them. The onions on the bottom got a little to done, next time I won't saute them quite as long. It also needed more salt, but not a lot. I know it would be much better to make in August with fresh veggies than in April. I think I will revisit this recipe over the summer. For now it gets a B.

3 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful looking dish Toni. I'll bet it was yummy as well. I too am chomping at the bit to get our garden going...but, alas, winter is hanging on here also. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni,
    When I have done a Tian in the past i never saute'd the onions. Just put them in raw and cooked following the directions. they come out perfect that way.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails