Saturday, August 20, 2011

Chicken Cakes

This is one of the recipes I made when I didn't have an oven.  I was thinking about it and realized that I had never actually done any frying in my dutch ovens and it was time to give it a try.  Of course, its as easy to do in the dutch oven as it is on the stove top.  Maybe easier since I didn't have any oil splatters to clean off my stove.  :)  I love dutch ovens!!


Chicken Cakes
12" dutch oven

2 Tbs. butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil  (Add more as needed when frying)
1 Tbs. Creole seasoning (I used Tony Cachere's)
1 Tbs. Creole mustard (Or spicy brown mustard.  Just don't use yellow mustard)
2 Tbs. Mayonnaise (Not Miracle Whip)
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
1 clove minced garlic
4 green onions, sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 cup Italian bread crumbs

Remoulade Sauce
1 cup Mayonnaise
2 green onions, sliced
2 Tbs. creole mustard (Or spicy brown.  Not yellow)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 Tbs. chopped parsley
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper

Melt the butter in a dutch oven over a full spread of coals.  Add the bell pepper, green onions and garlic and saute until tender.  Stir together the bell pepper mixture, chicken, egg, mayo, mustard, creole seasoning and bread crumbs.  Form the mixture into about 8-10 patties.

In the same dutch oven, add the oil and heat until shimmering.  Fry the patties about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown and sightly crispy on the outside.  Serve immediately with remoulade.

For the remoulade, mix all ingredients together and refrigerate 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend

The Finished Product

.
The Review

I can't even tell you how good these were.  My hubby (who is notorious for complaining if we have the same meal twice in 6 months) asked me to make these every week for a month.  And we still didn't get sick of them.  They are delish!  They are pretty spicy, so adjust the creole seasoning if you need to.  I think I only used 2 tsp. and it had a nice bite.  Don't skip the remoulade or you'll be missing the best part of the meal.  The sauce puts these over the top!  You'll love 'em!

Source:  Tasty Kitchen

1 comment:

  1. Great idea for a dutch oven dinner. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails