Friday, July 16, 2010

Day 196: Pizza Swirls

My kids liked yesterday's hamburger roll ups so much that they wanted to try it with pizza today.  As I was thumbing through a cookbook, I happened across a recipe for them.  This comes from another church cookbook

Pizza Swirls
12" dutch oven

1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup milk
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 small can sliced mushrooms, drained
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp oregano
1 (15 oz.) can herbed tomato sauce ( I used pizza sauce)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Mix the flour, baking powder and salt.  Cut in shortening to consistency of cornmeal.  Stir in milk just to moisten dry ingredients.  Turn out on a lightly floured surface and knead lightly 6-8 times.  Roll into a 1/4 inch thick rectangle. 
In your dutch oven over a full spread of coals, cook the ground beef, onion and green pepper until the onion is soft and beef is cooked through.  Drain any grease and stir in the mushrooms, salt, oregano and 1/2 cup herb sauce.  Spread over the biscuit dough.  Sprinkle with cheese.  Roll up starting with the long side.  Cut into 1 1/2 inch slices.  Arrange in your greased DO and bake at 425° for 15-20 minutes.  Use 2 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Serve with remaining tomato or pizza sauce.

The Finished Product


The Review

The idea for these is really good, but I've decided that I really don't like pizza toppings and biscuit dough together.  The flavors just don't work for me.  This would be much better made with actual pizza dough and it wouldn't be any harder to do.  One of the problems with this recipe is that the biscuit dough is so soft that it tears easily.  Pizza dough would hold up better and not fall apart as much.  You could also put garlic powder and herbs in the dough to add flavor.  My kids really liked this, and I guess that's what counts since I made it for them.  But next time I'll make the changes and make it even better.  This recipe gets a C-.

3 comments:

  1. I L-O-V-E your blog. Thanks for all your amazing posts. What cook off did you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did one in my hometown of Genola,Utah, population 1200. It is just a tiny little place, so it was a tiny little cook off. But is was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails