Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 304: Soft Garlic Knots

Good morning everyone!  Just a quick update on my cookbook.  I've been working on putting everything together and doing some writing and it looks like I'll be able to have it printed and start shipping by January 15th.  Unless I can find a better price on the printing (and I'm still looking) the cost will be $13.99 plus $3.99 shipping.  The book will include over 200 recipes!  I will ship internationally for those of you outside the U.S. In a few weeks I'll start taking pre-orders through my site via paypal.  If your local dutch oven chapters want to do a group buy I will give a discount on shipping since it will be a lot less work for me!  All this is just tentative right now, but I'll have it all nailed down before Thanksgiving.  This is just a heads up!  :)  I hope you are all as excited as I am to have a copy of the book. 

On to today's recipe!  I got this one from a friend.

Soft Garlic Knots
10" dutch oven

dough

3 cups bread flour
1 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. instant yeast
1¼ tsp. salt
2 tbsp. olive oil
¼ cup milk
1 cup plus 2 tbsp. lukewarm water

Glaze

2 cloves garlic
3 tbsp. melted butter
½ tsp. Italian seasoning

To make the dough, in a bowl combine the dry ingredients. Add the olive oil, milk and water. Mix until ingredients have formed a dough. Mix by hand or on low speed until the dough is smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled bowl, turn once to coat, and cover with plastic wrap. Allow to rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk.

Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 10-inch long rope and tie into a knot. Take the end lying underneath the knot and bring it over the top, tucking it into the center. Take the end lying over the knot and tuck it underneath and into the center. Transfer shaped rolls to a baking stone, or a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let rise for 45 minutes, until puffy.

To make the glaze, finely mince the garlic or press it through a garlic press. Mix with the melted butter and Italian seasoning.

Brush the glaze onto the shaped rolls. Preheat your dutch oven lid and then bake at 350° until set and lightly browned, about 15-18 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.

The Finished Product


The Review

Yum! Yum! Yum!  These are really soft and delicious.  I even rushed them and didn't let them rise long enough and they still turned out great.  The garlic flavor is light and they are perfect with a soup or an Italian dish.  I'll be making these again.  Grade A.

1 comment:

  1. Is your dutch oven cook book for sale yet?
    Thanks,
    stylesjay@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails