Thursday, November 18, 2010

Day 321: Ribbon Pumpkin Bread

When I was making this bread yesterday I thought I'd try something different.  Instead of pouring the batter directly into the dutch oven like I usually do, I put it in a bread pan and then cooked it in my dutch oven.  In order for this to work, you have to have a metal trivet and a deep dutch oven.  The bread pan can't be placed directly onto the bottom of the dutch oven.  In order for it to bake properly, it has to be lifted up to allow for the heat to circulate evenly, and if you don't lift up the bread pan you'll end up burning the bottom of the bread.  Trust me, I know!  Its a great way to bake actual loaves of bread and still use your dutch oven!  I should have taken some pictures of how I did it, but I forgot.  I'll make another bread and add the pics!

Ribbon Pumpkin Bread
12" deep dutch oven

Filling

6 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup sugar
1 Tbs. flour
2 egg whites

Batter

1 cup pumpkin
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 Tbs. oil
1 2/3 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1/3 cup chopped walnuts (I left these out)

For the filling, combine the cream cheese, sugar, flour and egg whites in a bowl and set aside.  In a mixing bowl, beat the pumpkin, applesauce, egg, egg whites and oil.  Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves.  Add to the pumpkin mixture and stir in the walnuts. 

Divide half of the batter between 2 8 x 4 inch greased loaf pans.  Spread each with the filling and top with remaining batter.  Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans.  Cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.  Makes 2 loaves.

The Finished Product


The Review

This bread is awesome, and it worked great in  my dutch oven!  It was fun to take a loaf to my neighbor and watch the expression on her face when I told her I baked it in my dutch oven.  This is spiced nicely and its beautiful on top of that.  This gets an A!

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Letting the cream cheese soften to room temperature will be best. It makes it easier to mix with the other ingredients. And it will be easier to spread over the batter.

      Delete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails