Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Meatball Monkey Bread



I'm not sure I mentioned it before, but I've been without an oven for the past couple of weeks so I've been dutch oven cooking a lot.  I have several recipes to share so I'll get to them as soon as I can.  Last night's meal was a really fun one for my kiddos.  They love when I make something with a surprise inside.  Add to it the word "monkey" in the title and they were hooked.  They spent all of dinner acting like monkeys, which since it was nice enough to eat outside, was okay.

These rolls are filled with meatballs, cheese and pepperoni, then dipped in marinara sauce.  Perfect dutch oven food.  I used homemade bread dough, but you could also use frozen bread or roll dough.

Meatball Monkey Bread
12" dutch oven

For the dough:

1 1/2 cups warm water
1 Tbs. instant yeast
2 Tbs. sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl or electric mixer and knead for 3 minutes.  Cover and allow to rise for 30 minutes.

For the filling:

1 pkg. frozen meatballs (or about 35 homemade meatballs)
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Sliced pepperoni

For the topping:

3 Tbs. melted butter
Garlic bread seasoning (I used Johnny's Garlic Bread Seasoning from Costco or you could use this homemade one.)

After the dough has risen, divide it into balls about the size of a walnut.  Flatten the dough on a well floured surface.  Put the cheese, pepperoni and meatball on the dough.  Fold up the edges of the dough to completely seal the meatball and cheese inside.  Place inside an oiled dutch oven.  Brush the melted butter over the rolls and sprinkle with garlic seasoning.

Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or utnil golden brown. Use 1 1/2 rings + a couple of coals on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Makes about 35 rolls.

Source:  An original recipe


12 comments:

  1. What a creative idea, very kid friendly! Can't wait to try it on our next camping trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Toni, you have inspired me. I added this link to my Blog. Can't wait to try this.
    Thanks
    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fun looking meal! For a while I've been thinking about baking pulled pork inside of dough similar to this recipe, have you tried this? I look forward to heating up your Meatball Monkey Bread recipe first and then experimenting next.

    BTW, We brought along our 10" dutch oven for our 100+ mile canoe trip down the Allagash River last July and your Sheepherders Bread fit perfectly into our day 5 meal plan! Who ever said you couldn't have fresh bread in the backcounty? Your recipes and pictures have been so inspirational, thanks. Sean-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pulled pork buns sounds fantastic! Some homemade BBQ sauce would put them over the top. I'm afraid I'm going to have to try them!

      Delete
  4. This is Madness! Cannot wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caldweller79
    My 8 year old son and I made this a few days ago. He was working on his Wolf Scouting badge and one of the requirements was to cook a meal outside. I wanted to pick something he and his little brother would like but they are picky eaters. They hate most things that come out of a dutch oven. They loved this. They thought it was super fun to make, fun to cook, and fun to eat. Excellent recipe. The homemade dough makes this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, this sounds great! At first, I thought that the bread would bake before the meatballs were done, but then I read that you use pre-cooked meatballs, and it made much more sense! I'll bet the end result was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are making my life much easier. Great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I noticed a comment earlier that the meatballs have to be precooked...is this true? I've got some frozen homemade meatballs - do you recomend that I thaw and cook them 1st? Thanks! I think my kids will LOVE these!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You definitely want to pre cook the meatballs. I'm afraid you'd end up with a greasy and undercooked finished product. If you're using homemade meatballs go ahead and cook them then let them col until they can be handled before making this dish.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails