Thursday, February 11, 2010

Day 42: Indian Butter Chicken

Today's recipe is another Indian Dish. I am really intrigued by Indian food. The mix of spices is really unusual but good. Like I said before when I posted the tikka chicken, I have never had Indian food before so I have no way to know how authentic any of these recipes are. I just know that they are good. The butter chicken is mild, without the kick that I've always thought Indian food had. This recipe comes from a Taste of Home magazine, so I'm sure it is pretty Americanized.
Indian Butter Chicken
10" dutch oven
2 Tbs. butter
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
2 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbs. grated ginger root (I used just a little ground ginger)
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
3/4 tsp. each ground coriander and ground turmeric
1/2 tsp. each ground cinnamon and ground cumin
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 Tbs. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper
2 cups cooked chicken, cut up (rotisserie would work great)
1/3 cup sour cream
1 Tbs. minced fresh cilantro (I didn't have any)
Melt the butter in your DO. I used about 15 coals. Add the onions and garlic. Cook, stirring often until the onions are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger root, chili powder, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon and cumin. Cook 1 minute. Add the drained tomatoes, broth, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. I used 14 coals on the bottom and 7 on top. Stir in the chicken and heat through. Remove from the coals and stir in the sour cream and cilantro. Serve over rice. 5 servings.
The Finished Product

What I Learned
Using DOs is getting a lot easier for me, so unless I make a new discovery, or I am cooking something challenging, I probably won't have anything for this little section.
The Review
This was really good, but I am still acquiring a taste for some of these spices. The turmeric gave it a cool yellow color that my kids really liked. I forgot to drain the tomatoes so mine was too runny as you can see in the pic. The kids liked it and I don't think the leftovers will last very long. Even though it is really easy, this probably isn't something that I will make very often. Not because I don't like it, but because it is really different than what we are used to. That being said, you should try it and see what you think. This recipe probably rates in the B range, I can't quite decide.

2 comments:

  1. Yet another great looking recipe.

    Did you get my email?

    Ranes

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Ranes--No, I didn't get your email. I just checked it again this morning. Try again, and I will keep an eye out for it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails