Friday, February 12, 2010

Day 44:Raspberry Coffee Cake

Yesterday morning I woke up to snow pellets falling outside. Big sigh! We have had pretty nice weather lately, but we have a saying in Utah--"If you don't like the weather, just wait 5 minutes." That was very true, because later it was in the mid-forties. I am ready to say goodbye to winter, but I can see that winter is in no hurry to leave. So, for today's recipe, I picked the summeriest thing I could think of--Raspberries. This post is me (and my raspberries) giving winter a very rude hand gesture. Sorry, I usually don't behave this way, but the snow pellets just pushed me over the edge!

Raspberry Coffee Cake
10" dutch oven
1 cup plus 3 Tbs. sugar, divided
1/4 cup cornstarch
3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries (I used a frozen berry mix)
2 cups biscuit/baking mix
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
Topping:
1 3.4 oz. pkg. instant vanilla pudding mix (I used french vanilla)
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cold butter
cinnamon
nutmeg
In a small DO, combine 1 cup sugar and cornstarch. Add the berries; bring to a boil over medium heat. I would use an 8" DO for this. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the biscuit mix, milk, eggs, oil and remaining 3 Tbs. of sugar; mix well. Spread 2/3 of the batter in a 10" DO. Spread with the berries. Spoon remaining batter over the top. For the topping, combine pudding mix, sugar and spices. I didn't measure the spices, I just put some in until it smelled good. Cut in butter until crumbly; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 with 7 coals on the bottom and 14 on top for 35-40 minutes. Remove from the bottom heat about halfway through cooking.

The Finished Product






What I Learned
I left this on the bottom heat during the entire cooking time, and the bottom was a nice golden brown. If the temperatures would have been higher than the forties I would have burned it. If you are doing this in the summer I would definitely take it off the bottom coals partway through cooking.
The Review
This turned out to be more like a cobbler than a coffee cake, but it was still "berry" delicious. (Ha Ha) It would be awesome with fresh raspberries. You could probably double the cake batter to make it more of a coffee cake. You would just have to adjust the cooking time. But, serve it with a scoop of ice cream and you could almost pretend it was a July evening. This gets an A-.

1 comment:

  1. Don't worry about bread in a D O make it a few times and it becomes the thing to make. Make dinner rolls, they are always good, or make some cinnamon knots with the dough for dinner rolls they are always a hit. Thanks for writing your blog, I have cooked some of them, thanks again.

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails