Thursday, March 18, 2010

Day 77: Cranberry Chicken

Tomorrow is the big day for me. I get to go to the World Championship Cook offs in Salt Lake City. I can't wait to see how the pros do it. I am still such a newbie but I know I will come home a much better DO cook. I'm also looking forward to meeting some of you there. I'm going to try to go back up on Saturday for some of the clinics. It should be a good time all around. Hopefully I'll have some good pics to share for everyone who can't go!
Today's recipe comes from Brett Lybbert. He left this in the comments on one of my posts. You have all been so generous with your recipes, and I will try to get to all of them before the year is out! This recipe has a strange combination of flavors. I wasn't sure what to think when I read it, but I figured "what the heck", I'll give it a try.
Cranberry Chicken
10" or 12" dutch oven
1 can cranberry sauce (I used the whole berry sauce)
1 cup french salad dressing
1/2 pkg. onion soup mix
2 lbs chicken breasts, cut up
Put everything in the DO and cook with 12 coals on top and 12 on the bottom for about 1 hour. Serve over rice and noodles.
The Finished Product


The Review
The first thing my oldest son said was "this gets an A." There were several other comments made around forks and full mouths, and I took the fact that I couldn't understand them to mean it was good. The flavor isn't as strange as you would have thought. Its actually a nice combo of sweet and tangy, and the onion soup is really subtle. I'd had my doubts about how this would turn out, and I was pleasantly surprised. I'll make this one again. It would also be an easy camping meal, especially since it is so simple. Grade A-.

4 comments:

  1. I like the looks of this one. For one thing it would be a great "demo" recipe. Thanks for passing it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toni ~ the Chicken look pretty good. I think I'll have to give it a try too.

    Have a great time at Worlds tomorrow. Im so bummed I couldn't make it this year. Your going to have SOOOOOOO much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this tonight and it was excellent. Thank you for your blog, I look at it daily. ~John

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reminding me of this recipe! I used to make it a lot and it was always a fav, but I haven't made it in a while. I have just made it in the oven, but will have to try it in the DO. Thanks again!. :)
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails