Friday, March 12, 2010

Day 71: Apple Crisp

It is treat time at my house again. My kids are always so hungry after school, and they hate having the same old snacks every day. I try to have semi-nutritious snacks at home, but sometimes I have to justify all the sugar by saying "its healthy, there's apples in there!" They were really excited to come home and smell this as they walked past the door. I don't really like to bake. I love to cook meals, but I'm not a baker, so when I do bake my kids are in heaven!

Apple Crisp
12" dutch oven
6 cups apples, peeled and sliced
1 tsp. lemon juice
2 Tbs. water
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup butter
Combine apples, lemon juice and water. Arrange in your DO. Sprinkle apples with sugar. In a bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, salt, cinnamon and mix well. Sprinkle mixture over apples and dot with butter. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes. I used 18 coals on top and 9 on the bottom. Serves 6.
The Finished Product

The Review

This was pretty good. I liked the topping and I wish there was more of it. It also needed more apples, or a smaller DO, maybe a 10". We all ate it and enjoyed it, but I know there are better apple crisp recipes out there. I probably won't make this one again for that reason. It was good, but I know I can find better. Grade: B-.

1 comment:

  1. I gotta admit that I don't really measure when I do this one, but here is my best estimate.

    If you like the top REALLY crunchy, I melt the butter and add all the other topping ingredients (minus the flour, you may need to increase the flour in the filling depending on the moisture content of the apples) to the Dutch Oven and let the mixture candy to about a soft-ball stage (about 10 minutes). Remove it, add the apples & filling, put the topping on and bake it. You have to watch this a little closer, or use your nose because the topping will scorch if your not careful. Usually only takes 30-40 minutes

    It turns our really tasty...either way

    Carmel Apple Crisp

    Filling
    8-10 Granny Smith apples; peeled, cored and sliced
    2Tbs lemon juice
    2/3 cup sugar
    1/4 cup flour
    2-3tsp ground cinnamon
    1 tsp ground nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ground cloves
    1/4 tsp salt
    1 12oz jar caramel sauce
    Topping
    1 cup brown sugar
    1 cup maple syrup
    1 cup flour
    2 cups oatmeal
    1/2 cup chopped pecans
    1 cup butter

    In a buttered 12" D.O. add apples, and lemon juice; stir to coat the apples. In a separate bowl combine the sugar, flour cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt; mix well. Pour dry ingredients over the apples and stir until apples are well coated. Spread out the apples and pour carmel sauce over the top.

    In a bowl combine brown sugar, flour, oatmeal, and pecans; stir to mix. Using a fork, mix in melted butter to form coarse ctumbs. SPread topping evenly over apples.

    Cover D.O. and bake using 10-12 briquettes bottom and 14-16 on top for about an hour.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails