Saturday, March 27, 2010

Day 86: Chicken Lasagna

Healthy DO recipes can be hard to find. It seems the more fat and calories in a recipe the better it tastes! It's hardly fair. I was surprised at how low cal this lasagna is. It only has 240 calories per servings. Now if you are on a low carb diet, steer clear of this one.
Chicken Lasagna
12" dutch oven
10 uncooked lasagna noodles
1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 can (14 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (12 oz.) tomato paste
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 Tbs. dried basil
1 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
3 cups low fat cottage cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley (I used 2 Tbs. dried)
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 cups mozzarella cheese
Cook noodles according to package directions. I did this in my DO on my camp stove. Meanwhile, cook the chicken. I fried mine in my 12" oven over 20 coals. Let the chicken stand until cool enough to handle. Shred the chicken (I did this in my DO). Drain the noodles and set aside.
In your DO, combine the shredded chicken, tomatoes, tomato paste, mushrooms, onions, basil, 3/4 tsp. salt and garlic powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes. I used the same coals that I cooked the chicken with and put half on top and half on the bottom. In another bowl, combine the cottage cheese, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, pepper and remaining salt.
Remove the sauce from the DO into a bowl. Don't worry about cleaning out the oven, you are just going to put it back in. Layer half of the noodles in the bottom of the DO, overlapping them. Layer with half of the cottage cheese mixture, chicken mixture, and mozzarella. Repeat layers. Cover and bake at 350* for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. I used 10 coals on the bottom and 14 on top. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Serves 12.
The Finished Product

The Review

This was good! You would never know it was healthy. My sauce ended up really thick, so I added another can of tomatoes to get it the way I like it. You could also add chicken broth to thin it if you want to. My family loved it. It was hearty and comforting just the way lasagna should be. I will make this one again. I still liked the traditional lasagna better. My favorite recipe is here. But give this one a try. The family gave this one a B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails