Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 159: Yellow Squash Casserole

We have started have a "veggie night" at our house.  My kids seem to think that veggies are of the Devil and won't eat them as well as they used to.  To help combat the evil influences, we have instituted "veggie night" once a week.  On these nights, no meat is allowed, not even a hot dog after dinner.  Its a bit of a challenge to find new ways to cook veggies that my kids will like.  They aren't very daring food wise.  I know, I'm shocked too!  You'd think with all the new stuff we're eating they would be the Evil Knievels of food.  So for our first ever veggie night we served this summer squash casserole.  I found this recipe here.

Summer squash Casserole
12" dutch oven

2 pounds yellow squash, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
salt and pepper to taste
1 (6 ounce) package dry stuffing, prepared according to box directions

Boil the yellow squash and onion together in a DO filled with water, until they are soft. Drain and place in a large bowl. I left mine in the colander to drain completely.  Mix together the soup, sour cream, cheese and salt and pepper. Add the soup mixture to the squash and onions and mix well. In your DO, layer half of the stuffing, then pour on all of the squash mixture, followed by the remaining stuffing. Bake in a preheated 350° F oven for 40 to 45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and stuffing on the top is slightly crunchy. Use 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom or 14 coals on top and 10 on the bottom.

The Finished Product

I have to admit, forgot to take a pic, so I stole this pic from the site where I found the recipe. 

The Review

This was pretty good.  It is a great way to use up an over abundance of squash and I had some in the fridge that needed to be used.  I used a combination of zucchini and yellow squash.  Mine needed more stuffing so next time I'll use 2 boxes.  I'll probably make this again when I have a ton of garden produce.  It was really easy, and my family liked it.  I think I'll give this one a B.

2 comments:

  1. We prepared this recipe this past Saturday at a Dutch Oven demo at one of our Texas State Parks. It was a major hit with the crowd. It's definitely going to stay in our DO recipe rotation. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bearnkat-- Thats great! I'm glad everyone liked it. It would be a great demo recipe!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails