Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 170: Parmesan Potato Halves

I couldn't sleep last night so I was reading through a lot of the old comments that have been left on the posts.  I really have to say thanks to everyone for sharing this experience with me.  You are all so encouraging and willing to share tips, ideas and opinions.  Its crazy to think that I am almost half way through the year.  Dutch oven cooking and this blog have been really fun, stressful, frustrating, liberating and learning experiences for me.  I have been lucky to meet so many amazing people (you know who you are) through the blog and I have had some great experiences.  This whole experience has really made me stretch and learn and grow as a person and as a cook.

Its funny, but I have already reached all the goals that I made when I started this, so it is time to make some new ones.

First--I would like to qualify for the World Championship Cook-offs sometime in the next 2 or 3 years.  I have to give myself some time to reach this goal.  With my large family and small children I'm not always able to put as much time into things as I would like.  And I still have a lot to learn about dutch oven cooking and cooking in general.  But one day soon I'll be there!

Second--I would really love to do a dutch oven cookbook.  Not a camping cookbook, but an "everyday, cook at home because dutch ovens are fun" cookbook.  There are dozens of camping cookbooks out there.  I want people to see just how versatile these ugly black pots are.  They aren't just for camping anymore!  And I want to see it on the shelves at Cabela's!  How's that for a lofty goal?!?

Third--This may not be a dutch oven goal, but I think it is a good one nonetheless.  I want to encourage everyone to try something new.  Even if you don't think you have the time.  Find something you have to do anyway and learn to do it in a different way.  That's what this year and this blog started as for me.  I was a "stuck in a rut stay at home mom" and by the end of the year I hope I'm a dutch oven expert!

Okay, recipe time.  I found this one here

Parmesan Baked Potato Halves
12" dutch oven

6 small potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
1/4 cup butter
grated Parmesan cheese (Lots)
garlic powder
other seasonings (I used Schilling's Salad Supreme, kosher salt, and pepper, but use what you like best!)

 Melt butter in your 12" dutch oven.   Generously sprinkle Parmesan cheese and lightly sprinkle other seasonings all over the butter. Place potato halves face down on the butter and seasonings. Bake at 400* for 40-45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  I used 2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.   Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan.  Serves 8-10.

The Finished Product


Sorry, my hubby had my camera so the pic is from Family Favorite Recipes.

The Review

Oooh these were good!  Be sure to use plenty of Parmesan cheese.  You want it to get nice and crispy and thick on the potatoes.  I didn't use quite enough on mine so they weren't as flavorful as they could have been, but we still loved them.  I think these are good enough to serve to company.  Be sure to let them sit for at least 5 minutes before you serve them, it helps the cheese to stay on the potatoes instead of the bottom of your pot.  These get an A, and I just might have them with dinner tomorrow night, too!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck with your challenges. The potatoes look good, I enjoy most potato dishes which incorporate melted cheese and/or sour cream :). I have joined the no knead bread braid challenge and try as much as possible to do my cooking in my black pots, sometimes the temptation to use the house oven is great especially as its winter over here. I like the fact that your food is real everyday family type food but also suitable for guests.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've tried to make sure that most of the food I cook is good family food. My kids have to eat everything I make and my primary goal is to keep them happy and not break the bank buying gourmet or specialty foods. Its just good home cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this receipe. Wow! It is really good! I like the simplicty of it, we will be making these when camping.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made these three times in the past two weeks. They are so good. I used a garlic seasoning for making garlic bread and a little italian seasoning.
    Thank you so much for the great recipes.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails