Friday, September 16, 2011

Cheesy Horseradish Mashed Potatoes

I'm really trying to get into my creative groove lately.  I'm tired of all the recipes I have (even though I haven't even tried most of them).  So I'm tweaking the ones I've made before.  Some have been epic fails, but this one turned out really well.  I have a recipe for mashed potatoes that is flavored with dry ranch dressing, and I've been on a horseradish kick, so why not flavor potatoes with horseradish.
 I almost added bacon, but I didn't want to have too many flavors going on.  One of these days I'll try it.

Cheesy Horseradish Mashed Potatoes
12" dutch oven

2 1/2 lbs. potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 Tbs. butter
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2-1 Tbs. prepared horseradish
1/4 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
2 Tbs. dried parsley
1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese

Boil the potatoes until tender in a dutch oven over a full spread of coals.  Remove from heat and drain well.  Add the butter and milk to the potatoes.  Stir in the sour cream, 1 cup of cheese and horseradish and mash to the desired consistency.  Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in the parsley.  Top with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.  Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are heated through.  Use 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Serves 8.

The Finished Product

I think we all know by now that photography is NOT one of my many talents!  Trust me when I say this was great!
The Review

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but these are really good.  I used 1 Tbs. of horseradish and it wasn't quite enough for me.  If you know you love it or want to add some real kick to these potatoes, then use more.  I also love that I did the whole thing without ever having my potatoes leave the pot.  Its a one dish wonder.  I'll be making these again, with bacon next time.  YUM!

1 comment:

  1. YUM! I love horseradish (as long as my nose doesn't feel like it blew up) lol

    I'll have to try these. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails