Friday, October 22, 2010

Day 292: Pumpkin Zucchini Bread

It must be fall because everything I make lately has pumpkin in it.  This year I even made my own fresh pumpkin puree.  Yummy!!  This is another recipe that is a great marriage of summer and fall.  I would have never thought to put pumpkin and zucchini together, but here you go!  We are expecting our first hard freeze on Monday, so I figured I'd better use the last of my neighbor's zucchini (since the squash bugs killed all mine) and enjoy the last of the fresh summer produce.  I found this recipe on the Internet, but I can't remember where.

Pumpkin Zucchini Bread
10" dutch oven

3 cups self rising flour, sifted
1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/2 cup applesauce
4 eggs
2/3 cup water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup shredded zucchini
1 cup pumpkin puree

Sift together the flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add the regular and brown sugar and set aside. In a large bowl using a hand mixer, mix together the oil, applesauce, eggs, water and vanilla extract. Add the pumpkin puree and the shredded zucchini and mix again. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and mix until combined.

Pour batter into a well greased dutch oven.  Bake at 350 degree for 25 - 30 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.   Use 1 ring on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Let cool in pans for 5 minutes then remove to a baking rack to cool completely. 

**Be sure to use self rising flour.  If you don't have any, for each cup of all-purpose flour, add 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Mix to combine.**
The Finished Product

We had a Halloween party last night and I left my camera in my hubby's car.  I'll post the pic around lunch time!

The Review

This bread was really good!  I love the texture the zucchini gives it and it is nicely spiced.  This is definitely a keeper.  This is the kind of thing I would make a ton of and take to the neighbors.  It lasted about 14 minutes once my kids got home from school.  We gave this an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails