Saturday, October 30, 2010

Day 301: Pumpkin Biscuits

I'm finally having a chance to write these make-up posts.  I've had the cooking done, but no time to sit down and write.  So I'm going to take advantage of some free time!  :)  I'm currently having a love affair with pumpkin.  It happens every fall.  But my homemade pumpkin puree has put me over the edge.  (You can make it in the dutch oven, but I haven't tried it yet.  I do have some little pie pumpkins left....hmmm.)  I saw these on Real Mom Kitchen and I knew I had to try them.

Pumpkin Biscuits
12" dutch oven

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for kneading and shaping
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, frozen, plus more to spread
3/4 cup pumpkin puree, chilled
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons brown sugar

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda together.

With a box grater, grate the frozen butter into the flour mixture. With a pastry blender or a fork, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal this should not take very long because the butter is already grated well.

In another bowl, whisk together pumpkin purée, buttermilk, and brown sugar; stir quickly into flour mixture until combined (do not over mix).  Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently bring together, folding once or twice and adding a Tablespoon or two of flour as needed so the dough is not too wet. Shape into a disk, and pat to an even 1-inch thickness . With a 2-inch biscuit cutter dipped in flour, cut out biscuits as close together as possible Gather together scraps, and repeat to cut out more biscuits (do not reuse scraps more than once).

Arrange biscuits in a well greased dutch oven. Smear a bit of butter on the top of each biscuit. Bake until golden, rotating once, 20 to 24 minutes.
The Finished Product


The Review

Yum and double yum!!  These were perfect!  As I was making them I was tempted to add some cinnamon or nutmeg or something, but I'm glad I didn't.  They were just right.  I'm going to have to double them when I make them next (which might be tonight!).  Mine turned out a little on the thin side, so next time I'll make sure I don't roll the dough quite so thin.  Other than some operator error, these were fabulous!  Grade A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails