Friday, April 6, 2012

Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls

Look at the gorgeous blueberries in there!  YUM!

 The prodigal blogger has returned.  Rest assured, I'm not dead.  I'm just lazy.  Really, really lazy.  I have no other excuse.  I could say its been a hard winter, but that would be a big, fat lie.  Its been the mildest winter I can remember in the last 20 years.  I just haven't had the get up and go to get up and go start coals.  But once I got off my lazy butt, I remember how happy it makes me to cook outdoors.

I have a really fabulous recipe to share with you today.  These cinnamon rolls were so good that my husband ate 6 of them before they even cooled off.  Its a good thing he runs marathons, because otherwise he'd be in trouble.  I'd never even thought of making blueberry cinnamon rolls, but let me tell you they are sheer genius!  We're talking  a thickened blueberry sauce with a touch of lemon zest combined with a cinnamon and sugar mixture.  Like I said, GENIUS!!

Now you will need 2 dutch ovens for this recipe.  It makes about 24-30 rolls, so plan accordingly.

After the cream cheese frosting.  Warning:  this isn't diet food!

Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls
14" dutch oven

For the dough: 

2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/4 tsp. active dry yeast
4-5 cups flour
1/2 heaping tsp. baking powder
scant 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt

For the Blueberry Filling

1 pint blueberries
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2-3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest
3/4 cup water

Additional Blueberries for Sprinkling

1 pint blueberries
2 Tbsp sugar
4 Tbsp cinnamon
2 Tbsp flour

For the blueberry filling

In a small dutch oven, combine 1 pint of the blueberries, sugar and cornstarch. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and water. Cook over a full spread of coals, stirring often, until mixture begins to thicken slight. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

For the dough

Mix whole milk, vegetable oil and sugar in a pan. Scald to 150 degrees. Let cool until lukewarm (~45 minutes). Sprinkle in yeast and let sit. Then add 4 C flour, stir mixture together. Cover and let sit for one hour.
Add 1/2 cup of flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir mixture together.  Add enough flour to make a semi-sticky dough.

Divide the dough in half. Sprinkle surface generously with flour and form into a rectangle, roll the dough thin, maintaining a rectangular shape. Spread half of the blueberry filling onto the dough. Sprinkle half of the additional blueberries for sprinkling on top. Roll the dough toward you. Pinch the seam to seal it.  Cut rolls 3/4 to 1 inch thick and lay in greased dutch ovens. Repeat with other half of dough and blueberry filling.
Cover the rolls and let sit for 30 minutes.

Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.  Use 1 1/2 rings plus a couple of coals on top and 1 ring on the bottom.

Generously drizzle your favorite cream cheese frosting over warm rolls after they finish baking.

Makes 24-30 rolls.

Source:  Adapted slightly from  Beantown Baker

28 comments:

  1. Hi Toni: it's been a long time. Good to see a posting. Looks good . May have to give it a try. Ron

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang, those look good. I have been itching to fire up the dutch ovens, this just may get me motivated enough to do it. (FYI, I deleted the other post do to a spelling error, darn iPad thought I was going for another word, and I didn't proof before posting.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant....of course it isn't diet food, otherwise it wouldn't look so tempting! And yes I KNOW that it's been a mild winter...

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have baking powder listed twice in the dough recipe... 2nd one should be baking soda. :-)

    Can't wait to try these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made these today finally for my Mom on Mothers Day. She LOVED them.

      Delete
  6. Thanks Matthew1 I got the recipe fixed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nutrition--Glad to hear it! Those were some awesome rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Most people think of Dutch ovens as pots that one uses outdoors and while camping. While this is true, there are also Dutch ovens that are ideal for indoor cooking on stoves or in ovens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually use my dutch ovens in my oven all the time. My food still turns out better even when it's cooked indoors!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is the 375 for indoor oven cooking? If so, cooked with lid on? Do I need to preheat Dutch oven (cast iron) first?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cooking temperature will be the same wherever you cook them. When I use my black pots in my oven I almost always leave the lid off. As for reaching 375° with charcoal briquettes, just add an extra briquette or 2 to the lid (keep the bottom heat the same). Each briquette adds about 25° give or take.

      Delete
  11. These sound delicious, but I was wondering what you mean by "rings"? I would be considered a total novice at dutch oven cooking! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Laurie, I use a little bit different method of temperature control than a lot of people. I use the Dinwiddie ring method. You'll find a link to all the details in the left side bar. I think it is much easier than coal counting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Toni - have you tried these with a blueberry pie filling out of a jar? I like to keep things simple when I go camping and use my DOs, precook ground beef, etc. I was going to try these on a camp out this weekend. I stumbled onto a jar, 32 oz, of blueberry pie filling while I was grocery shopping. I wonder if that would work instead of cooking the fresh blueberries? I'm sure it wouldn't be quite as good but might be worth it not having to cook the blueberries down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried them with pie filling but I see no reason it wouldn't work. And it would bee a whole lot easier when you're camping too. I would probably still add some lemon zest to the pie filling just because I love blueberries and lemon together.

      Delete
  14. Is there a way to make these ahead of time to take on a camping trip. Do you have any suggestions on how to do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you receive a reply to this? I'm wondering the same thing.

      Delete
    2. The only things you can do in advance is mix the dry ingredients together (yeast too if you use instant), mix the filling together and pre-make the frosting. The dough could be made in advance if you let it rise in the fridge or cooler overnight, fill and shape the rolls and give them the second proofing first thing the next morning. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  15. I am a little confused with the recipe. For the filing you have the ingredients, and then it says "additional blueberries for sprinkling". After this it says: 1 pint blueberries, 2 Tbsp sugar, etc. Do you need a total of two pints of blueberries and 5 tbsp of sugar but have them divided into 2 parts? Perhaps I missed it, but these last 4 ingredients don't even seem to be mentioned in the directions?

    ReplyDelete
  16. You will mix the ingredients listed under extra blueberries for sprinkling on after you spread the blueberry filling on the dough. the whole berries add a little something extra to the filling. Those directions are in the last paragraph but are a little obscure. I'll fix it. Thanks for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello,

    I wanted to let you know that I am currently making these and am hopeful but have a concern. Against my judgment I did the 3/4 cup water and needless to say I now have really soupy filling for my rolls. Once I put the filling on my dough and rolled it up it completely turned the whole thing into one doughy blob. I'm hoping that some time in the freezer will rectify this, but I seriously doubt that all that water is needed. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did use the whole 3/4 cups of water and didn't have any trouble with soupy filling. Be sure to cook the filling until the cornstarch has a chance to thicken it. If it still looks too thin I'd add a tablespoon or two of water mixed with about a teaspoon more cornstarch and cook it until it thickens. Good luck!

      Delete
    2. Mine was seriously soupy also. Perhaps these instructions are more appropriate for high altitudes?

      Delete
  18. Do these have to be cooked in cast iron dutch ovens? Or do stainless steel ones work...would be putting them in the oven.
    Thx...they look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I see that these are for a 14" DO. Any recommendations for a 12" DO? It's all that I have. Should I just fill my DO, and save the rest for a second round to next day?

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails