Sunday, June 27, 2010

Day 176: Chicken Broccoli Curry

Whew!  Sorry I didn't get this posted yesterday.  I ended up having no time at all!  Thanks for being patient.  I found this recipe here.  It looked like an easy and yummy dinner.  My kids all like broccoli, even the baby, so I figured they would all eat it.

Chicken Broccoli Curry
12" dutch oven

3 cups (or two 10-oz pkgs) broccoli spears (I used a California blend of veggies)
3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
1 10-oz can cream of chicken soup
1 10-oz can cream of celery soup
1 cup mayonnaise (use ‘reduced fat’ at your own risk...)
1/2 tsp curry powder
1 Tbs lemon juice
1-2 cups bread cubes
1/4 cup melted butter
1/3 cup finely chopped celery
1 Tbs dried minced onion (or 2-3 Tbs fresh minced)
2 Tbs dried parsley flakes
freshly ground pepper
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (optional)

Cook broccoli until barely done, drain well. I did this in my 12" oven with a full spread of coals then drained off the water.  Sprinkle broccoli with diced chicken.

Combine butter, celery, and onion in an 8" or 10" dutch oven and saute until tender. I used a full spread of coals.  Add parsley and pepper. Stir in bread cubes till combined. Set aside.

Combine soups, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and curry powder. Heat through until bubbly (I did this in the same 10" oven that I sauteed the veggies in).  Pour over chicken and broccoli.

Top with bread crumb mixture.

Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes, or until hot and bubbling.  I used 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Remove from heat and sprinkle with grated cheese.  Cover and let stand until cheese is melted.

The Finished Product


The Review

This was surprisingly good.  I really didn't expect to love this.  My kids ate every bit and one child even scraped the DO to get the rest.  That doesn't happen very often.  The curry powder gave it a really nice flavor.  It was also really easy.  I could have made it a 1 pot meal without much trouble.  I would have sauteed the veggies first, set them aside.  Then boiled the broccoli and drained it, added the soup mixture and heated it in the pot with the broccoli, mix in the chicken, top with crumbs and bake.  It would be an easy camping meal.  I'll be making this one again.  Grade A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails