Monday, March 8, 2010

Day 67: Best BBQ Meatballs

I don't think I've mentioned what I have coming up in a couple of weeks. I get to go to the World Championship Cook off in Salt Lake City. The event runs March 18-21 at the South Towne Expo Center. Not only do I get to go, but I get to be a cook's assistant (read: "Go-Fer"). I can't wait to get to watch some of the best DO chefs in the country cook. I am going to learn so much! I've never really watched anyone use DOs before. I just started doing it without any real background at all. So this is going to be a real treat! I will be there on Friday helping out, and I may go back up on Saturday to attend some of the clinics. So if any of you are going to be there, let me know, and I would love to meet you! I think it will be a lot of fun, and definitely worth the time.
Okay--today's recipe is meatballs. Have I ever mentioned that I love meatballs? (Have I ever mentioned that I love food?) There is just something about those round little chunks of meat that I can't resist! I have a dozen recipes for them, and a few that I make quite often. These are now being added to the list.

Best BBQ Meatballs
12" Dutch oven

2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 cup rolled oats
2 eggs
2/3 cup chopped onions
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
2/3 cup milk
Sauce:
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
1 tsp. mustard
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
Combine the first 7 ingredients. Form into balls and put in your DO. Bake at 350* for about 20 minutes or until cooked through. Remove meatballs and drain grease if necessary. Combine the sauce ingredients and mix well. Pour over cooked meatballs and and bake at 350* for 20 minutes. I used 10 coals on the bottom and 14 on top. Serves 6.

The Finished Product

The Review

These were really good. This is probably my favorite BBQ meatball recipe. The sauce is the perfect combination of sweet and tangy, and the meat was tender and juicy. I like to bake meatballs rather than fry them. It is easier, and less messy. Next time I will double the sauce because it really needed more. It would also be better over rice, just because its what we like best. These get a B+.

10 comments:

  1. Hey Toni,
    I hope you have a great time at Worlds. Your going to be around ~ in my opinion ~ the best group of people around. Did I say THE BEST GROUP OF PEOPLE AROUND!!!!

    I am bummed that I have to miss it this year. My job gets in the way of all my fun :)

    I hope you can make it to Spring Convention in Farmington - April 9-10. We all get to cook, laugh and talk there. And the youth cook-off is one of my favorite events of the year to watch. As well as some fantastic demo's from some of the best Dutch Oven cooks around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat--
    Email me with the details and I will see if I can make it. It sounds fun! I will check the IDOS site too! Maybe I can see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ranes has a really nice write up on the IDOS website. By the way, Ranes is one of the really great people you are going to get to meet at worlds. He, and his family, are truely amazing people.

    By the way, I did a batch of the mini-weiner wraps this weekend. I wrapped a piece of cheese into each one too (some with regular Montery Jack and some with Pepper Jack). My wife thought they were really fun.

    Thanks for the enjoyable, fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have chatted with Ranes a little bit. He is the one who asked me to help with the worlds. I am looking forward to meeting him. I will check out the IDOS site. Thanks and I'm glad you liked the mini-weiner wraps. The pepper jack cheese would be really good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Tnoi. If all goes as planed I will be there with Dave Hardoz. Would Love to chat with you.
    theoutlawgourmet@hotmail.com
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron--
    Sounds great! I am going to try to catch one of his clinics. See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Pat. Flattery will get you anywhere.

    The events have already been plugged... so I'll just add to it.

    Here is a link to lots of details about the WCCO:
    http://forums.idos.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=312

    And here is a link to details about the Spring Convention:
    http://forums.idos.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=336

    And, as always, feel free to contact me with any questions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Spring Convention is on my calendar!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caldweller79
    I tried this recipe twice this weekend and loved it both times. Saturday night I made it for a church picnic. They all got eaten in a matter of minutes. I made them again Sunday for a family picnic and they were a huge success. I used elk instead of beef and even my sisters, who are typically very skeptical of wild game, ate several of them. I found this recipe to be very easy. (I was unsure whether the recipe called for dry mustard or the prepared kind. I used dried the first time and prepared the second and both were ok.) I just served the meatballs as they were without any rice or pasta. They were a hit both nights. This recipe is definitely a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad everyone loved them! I used prepared mustard, but dry works too! Meatballs are one of my favorites for some odd reason. I may have to put these on this week's menu. :)

      Delete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails