Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 64: Pigs in a Blanket

Whew! I just got home after being gone since 6:30 this morning. My kids had a million places to be this morning! I really can't wait until November when my oldest can drive. Then he gets to play chauffeur! Oh well, such is the life of a mom of 7, and I wouldn't change a thing!!
Yesterday was my baby's 2nd birthday, so we did something fun for lunch. I have to say, I am a bad mom, I have only made pigs in a blanket a couple of times. They were not that great, but that could be because of my aversion to hot dogs. So I thought I would try something a little different than the traditional hot dog (barf) and crescent rolls. These would also be great for lunch when we go camping. I threw them together with 3 ingredients in about 5 minutes.

Pigs in a Blanket
12" dutch oven

1 16 oz. pkg. Lil' Smokies (I used the ones with cheddar cheese inside)
1 roll refrigerated bread stick dough
BBQ sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's)
Unroll the bread stick dough and cut each bread stick into thirds. Roll each piece of dough around a sausage link. Place seam side down in your oiled DO. Preheat the DO lid and then bake at 375 for about 20 minutes. I used 18 coals on top and 9 on the bottom. Serve with BBQ sauce. Makes about 36.

The Finished Product

I probably should have cooked them a few minutes longer.

The Review

I have 2 words for these, de lish. I will never make pigs in a blanket with hot dogs again. These were really good. My hubby came home for lunch and ate half of them. These will be a perfect lunch when camping. Just add some chips and a drink and voila--lunch! They would also make good Superbowl fare. I think I will be making these pretty regularly for my kids. Grade: A.

1 comment:

  1. I had never thought of doing the Lil' Weiner Wraps, thats a cool idea. That looks good and Kid friendly ( I should know, being the biggest kid in our house....LOL). If you like corn dogs, here is a recipe I adapted from an old Taste of Home magazine that was lying around the house.

    Mini Corn Dog Casserole Recipe

    Ingredients
    2 cups thinly sliced celery
    2 tablespoons butter
    1-1/2 cups sliced green onions
    1-1/2 pounds Little Smokies
    2 eggs
    1-1/2 cups milk
    2 teaspoons rubbed sage
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    2 packages (8-1/2 ounces each) corn bread/muffin mix - I use Jiffy brand.
    2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided

    Directions
    In a Dutch oven, saute celery in butter for 5 minutes. Add onions; saute for 5 minutes; set aside. Put Little Smokies in the Dutch oven, saute them for 5 minutes or until lightly browned; add vegetables.
    In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, sage and pepper. Stir in corn bread mixes. Add 1-1/2 cups of cheese. Spread into the Dutch oven. Top with remaining cheese.
    Bake at about 400 for 30 minutes or until golden brown

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails