Thursday, November 4, 2010

Day 307: Smokey Chipotle Shredded Beef

I wanted to have shredded beef taco salads for dinner last night, but I didn't have a beef recipe that I loved, so I made up my own.  It started out as a hodge podge of what I had in my cupboards.  And if you've been reading my blog very long, you know chipotle chilies are going to be in any Mexican dish I make.  (In case you didn't know, chipotle chilies are one of the foods of the Gods!)  We filled homemade taco bowls with beans, this meat, cheese, salsa and shrubbery.

Smokey Chipotle Shredded Beef
12" dutch oven

3 lbs. boneless beef chuck roast
2 Tbs. canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
3 cups water
8 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 (7 1/2 oz.) can El Pato Jalapeno Salsa (it is available in the Latin section of most grocery stores.  It doesn't add heat, it just adds flavor)

In your dutch oven, stir together everything except the meat.  Over a full spread of coals, bring the mixture to a boil.  While the sauce is coming to a boil, cut the beef into pieces, trimming off the fat.  Add to the boiling sauce.  Bake at 350° for 2-3 hours or until fork tender, stirring every 30 minutes.  Use 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Replenish the coals as needed, and if necessary, add more water.  Keep in mind that when the beef is finished cooking you want the sauce to be thick.  Remove the pot from the heat and shred the beef with 2 forks.  Allow it to sit in the sauce for about 5 minutes before serving.  Serve in tacos, burritos, chimichangas, or any Mexican dish.  Serves 8-10.

The Finished Product


The Review

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but this was fabulous!  You can make it as mild or spicy as you want.  Just add a little bit of the chipotles and taste the sauce BEFORE you put the meat in to see if it needs more heat.  I didn't make mine too spicy because my kids still had to be able to eat it.  I think this would freeze well, if you have any leftovers.  Seriously, I'm surprised there was any for us to have for dinner because I kept sneaking forkfuls right out of the bowl.  It was super yummy!!  We put ours in homemade taco salad bowls.  If you want the recipe for those, you can get it here.  Grade A.

7 comments:

  1. Toni,

    That looks and sounds wonderful! Another one I am going to have to try. THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat
    I would like to invite you to check out,or follow roguedutchovencookers.blogspot.com
    Thanks.
    Ron

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try the yellow can of Pato. Pato is my secret weapon. It's really the duct tape of food. It will hold together any dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its one of my secret weapons too! I never have less than 5 cans of each in my cupboards! I can't believe there are so many people out there that have never heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! My husband and kids would love it! thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the website I cook in my Dutch ovens in the winter because it is hot in Arizona. I used this recipe and it worked great, I used a pork roast and it was just as good. Thanks for the Idea I have family that is requesting it to be cooked.....one of my favorites!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great meal Toni! Fixed this this past weekend.

    Archie

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails