Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Day 326: Rustic Chicken

Getting ready for Thanksgiving is taking longer than I thought it would.  I've been all morning shopping, and yes, I do know not to wait until the last minute.  But I wouldn't be me if I didn't. 

Rustic Chicken
12" dutch oven

6 slices of bacon, chopped

1 onion, chopped
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced  (I left these out)
1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts, cut in 1 inch strips
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
1 15-ounce can artichoke hearts, quartered
1 packet dry chicken gravy mix
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup stuffed green olives

Cook bacon in your dutch oven over a full spread of coals until crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon and let drain on paper towels.  Drain off some of the grease.  Add the onions to the pot and cook until tender, then add the mushrooms. Add the chicken and cook until the chicken browns, then add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine. Move about 1/4 of the coals to the lid and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink. Serve over pasta or rice.  Serves 6-8.

The Finished Product


The Review

Everyone but the younger kids really liked this.  It has a nice flavor and "rustic" is the perfect word for this.  The only thing I would change is not to add the olives.  No one liked them.  I think I'll use sliced carrots or something along those lines.  This came together really fast, which was great because it was freezing outside!  :)  On a side note, I doubled the bacon because I knew that only about half of it would actually make it into the dish.  Grade B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails