Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 311: Chicken Parmesan

Next week I'll start taking pre-orders for the cook book!  I'm really excited about finally having it in print.  My only problem is designing the cover art.  I'm not good at that kind of thing, so I'm hoping some of you are.  If anyone is interested in designing the cover please email me!  If I choose your design, I'll send you a free copy of the cook book and your name will be forever immortalized in dutch oven history.  Does it get any better than that?  I don't think so.  :)

On to the recipe.  I'm sure I have a recipe for this on the blog already, but this one is a little different and I actually liked it better.  I had this dish at a family gathering a while back and I recreated it at home yesterday.

Chicken Parmesan
12" dutch oven

2 Tbs. oil
1 (29 oz.) jar pasta sauce
4 chicken breasts pounded flat or cut into large pieces
2-3 cup dry bread crumbs
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
3 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbs. milk
1/2 cup flour
shredded mozzarella cheese
Hot cooked pasta (I used linguine)

In a shallow bowl combine the bread crumbs, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.  In another shallow bowl, combine the egg and milk.  Put the flour in another shallow bowl.  Coat each piece of chicken in flour, then in the egg, and finally in the crumb mixture.

Heat the oil  in a dutch oven over a full spread of coals.  Add the chicken to the pot and brown on both sides until almost cooked through.  Remove from the pot and keep warm.  Wipe out the pot with paper towels to remove any excess oil.  Pour pasta sauce in the bottom of the pot and then place the chicken in the sauce.  Sprinkle with cheeses.  Cover and bake at 350° for about 30 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melted.  Use 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Serve over hot cooked pasta.  Serves 4-6.

The Finished Product



The Review

This is my new favorite Chicken Parmesan recipe.  I love that it has a crispy outside, but the chicken ends up super tender and moist inside.  I also like that it cooks in the sauce and the flavors get to combine really well.  I made our really cheesy, because that's how we like it, but use as much or as little cheese as you like.  The fact that its a one pot meal is a big plus too!  We gave this an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails