Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day 327: Bloomin' Onion Bread

Happy day before Thanksgiving!  I have one more trip to make to the grocery store then I'm ready!  I hope all your preparations are going well.  I have to warn you, I probably won't be posting a recipe tomorrow because I'll be up early cooking, but come back on Friday and I'll have two for you (provided I survive my black Friday shopping).

I also have to add another shameless plug for my cookbook.  Pre-order your copy now!  Thanks to those who have already ordered, and to those who haven't I ask "What are you waiting for?" 

I found this recipe in a taste of home magazine several years ago, but for unknown reasons I haven't tried it until now.  This is a fun a versatile bread.  You could use any combination of cheese and spices.  Provolone and basil and rosemary, substitute pepper jack cheese for more kick, or smokey cheddar.  It is a great party appetizer too!

Bloomin' Onion Bread
10" dutch oven

1 unsliced loaf (round is preferable) sourdough bread.
1 pound Monterrey Jack cheese, thinly sliced
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup finely diced green onion, with tops
2-3 tsp poppy seeds

Cut the bread lengthwise and width wise - without cutting through the bottom crust.  Insert cheese between cuts. Combine butter, onion, and poppy seeds. Drizzle over bread. Wrap in foil and place in your dutch oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, using 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom. Unwrap. Bake 10 more minutes, or until cheese is melted.

The Finished Product



The Review

Talk about neat presentation!  My hubby came home from work and the first thing he said was "That bread looks cool!"  It also tastes great!  My little kids didn't care for the sourdough bread, but everyone else loved it.  I may take this to Thanksgiving dinner as a appetizer.  I'll definitely be making this again.  Grade A.

1 comment:

  1. A family favourite for many years at parties here was a large jar of plain or french onion cheese mixed with two sticks of butter, cut like yours and spread on the bread on each of the four sides. Tasty cheese sprinkled on top. I think your idea of cheese slices would be much easier. We used to tie ours to hold it together with kitchen string. It was rich and gooey and loved especially by all the females :)

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails