Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day 306: Creamy Spaghetti Squash

Good morning!  Just a quick post today.  I have a sick little girl on my lap right now.  I just wanted to point out one thing today.  If you look at the bottom of each post you will find a new "print friendly" button.  It will let you edit the post before you print it so you only print what you want!  I hope it helps make using the recipes a lot easier.  So no more excuses!  Get out those black pots and get cookin'!  If I can do it everyday, you can do it once a week, or even once a month! 

I kind of made up today's recipe.  It's loosely based on one I saw on the Internet a while back.

Creamy Spaghetti Squash
12" dutch oven

1 spaghetti squash
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup skim milk
1/3 cup shredded cheese (I used a Parmesan)
pinch of nutmeg
salt & pepper to taste

Slice spaghetti squash in half, and lay face down in a dutch oven with a bit of water. Bake at 350° for 20-30 minutes, or until tender.  Remove from pot and keep warm.

In a 10" dutch oven over a full spread of coals, combine butter and flour. Whisk to make a roux, add milk and nutmeg, and stir in cheese. Stir constantly stir until thickened.

Remove seeds from squash (if you didn’t before) and scrape out squash with a fork, making spaghetti strands. Add to the pot with the cheese sauce and combine. Season with salt and pepper.  Serves 6.

The Finished Product


The first picture I took while it was in the dutch oven looked awful, so I tried again and this looks much better!

The Review

I was a little disappointed in this one.  I was really hoping it would be good, but it was just okay.  Honestly, I like the squash better with butter and salt.  Interestingly enough, my younger kids liked it better with the cream sauce.  Go figure!  We decided this gets a B.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to run this one by my mom. She's trying to get herself to eat more vegetables but never manages to accomplish it: Maybe a little cheese sauce would help. At least this one uses skim milk so it doesn't totally negate the point of eating vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you wanted to make it really good, use heavy cream! But then any health benefits fly right out the window. So, maybe not...

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails