Sunday, November 28, 2010

Day 331: Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes

I've tried a lot of Au Gratin Potato recipes in my day, and I've found some good ones, but I've still been on the hunt for the perfect recipe.  I think I may have finally found it.  This recipe is from Cook's Country.  It is another one of those awesome recipe sites.

Cheesy Au Gratin Potatoes
12" dutch oven

1 1/4 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 1/4 cups shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons cornstarch
3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8-inch thick (To make this recipe turn out right the potatoes MUST be thinly and evenly sliced.  A food processor or mandolin works best.)
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth

In a large bowl, toss the cheeses and cornstarch together until evenly coated.  In a dutch oven, neatly layer the potatoes. (This step is important since it helps the keep the potatoes from being a sloppy mess when served.)  Sprinkle the potatoes evenly with 1 1/2 cups of the cheese mixture, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Top with the remaining potatoes, layering them neatly and evenly. Sprinkle another 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper evenly over the top.

Combine the cream and the broth in a large measuring cup and pour the mixture over the potatoes. Top with the remaining cheese mixture and bake at 350° for 75-85 minutes or until golden brown and a fork inserted into the center slides in easily with little resistance. Let the potatoes cool for 10 minutes. Serves 6-8.

The Finished Product



The Review

These are the best au gratin potatoes I've ever had!!!  Seriously, the best.  They are so rich and yummy.  I love the flavor and creaminess the Monterrey jack cheese adds.  These are also easy.  I had them ready to go on the coals in about 10 minutes.  My favorite part is the crunchy edges.  In fact, I may go eat the leftovers right now.  Grade A.

8 comments:

  1. Just made this tonight in my Dutch Oven. Everyone in the family thought it was fantastic!

    Wayne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has become one of my favorite recipes. It makes regular appearances at our house. I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these while camping this week and they were awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked them Jennie! They are a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a question do you cook them with the lid on or off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those need to be cooked with the lid on in order to put the coals on top. It should use 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.

      Delete
  6. Just made this in the oven. These are the best I've had! It's a keeper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're our hands down favorite too! Glad you liked them!

      Delete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails