Sunday, November 14, 2010

Day 317: Bread Bowls

I have a confession to make.  Since we were working on our bathroom all day, I had a soup going in the crock pot and I was making some bread bowls to go with it.  As I was shaping the bread I realized I hadn't done anything in my dutch oven.  So I cooked the last few bread bowls in it.  How I forgot I don't know, but yesterday was kind of a nightmare.  These worked really well.  Thank goodness for my busy day because I would never have even thought to make these in a dutch oven.  This recipe is from allrecipes.com.

Bread Bowls
14" dutch oven

1 1/2 Tbs. yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 tsp. salt
2 Tbs. vegetable oil
7 cups flour
1 Tbs. corn meal
1 egg white
1 Tbs. water

Dissolve the yeast in warm water.  Let stand for about 10 minutes.  Add the salt, oil and 4 cups of flour and mix well.  Add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition, until a soft but not sticky dough is formed.  (I didn't use all the flour.)  Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for about 5 minutes, or until the dough is smooth and elastic.  Place dough in an oiled bowl and turn to oil the top.  Cover and rise until doubled. 

Punch the dough down and divide into 8 equal portions.  Shape into a ball and place in a lightly greased dutch oven that has been sprinkled with cornmeal.  Cover and allow to rise until doubled.

In a small bowl, combine water and egg whites.  Carefully spread the egg combination over the top of the bread bowls.  Bake at 400° for 15 minutes.  Brush each bread bowl with egg again and bake another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.  Serves 8.

The Finished Product


The Review

This is a fabulous recipe.  The outside of the bread is crispy, but inside it is soft and delicious!  Perfect for holding a hearty stew!  My kids loved eating their soup out of bread.  If you are going to make these you will need a 14" dutch oven and maybe a 10" as well.  Like I said, I put my last three in my 10" oven.  But they work beautifully.  Grade A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails