Sunday, November 7, 2010

Day 310: Zesty Sloppy Joes

Last night my hubby and I went to a get together with some friends, so i needed something quick and easy to feed the kiddos.  As a general rule, my kids are spoiled rotten in the food department.  Having something new and (sometimes) exciting every day has made them food snobs.  They all turned up their noses when I told them they were having sloppy joes for dinner.  I gave them my famous "be quiet and eat what your given and be grateful" look and headed out the door.  When I got home there wasn't even one drop left over.  So much for hating sloppy joes!

Zesty Sloppy Joes
12" dutch oven

2 lbs. ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
1 (10 oz.) can tomato soup, undiluted
1 (8 oz.) can thick and zesty tomato sauce
1/2 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 Tbs. ketchup
3 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. prepared mustard
1 1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic salt
Hamburger buns

In a dutch oven over a full spread of coals, brown the beef and onion.  Add the green pepper.  Cook and stir 5 minutes and then drain off any grease.  Add the next 10 ingredients and bring to a boil.  Move about 1/4 of the coals to the lid and simmer for 1 hour stirring occasionally.  Serve on buns.  Serves 10-12.

The Finished Product


The Review

When I got home last night there wasn't one scrap of meat left.  The kids must have really liked it.  I didn't get to try any, but I have to call it a success.  As far as sloppy joes go, my kids gave it an A.  Compared to other meals it gets a B-.

2 comments:

  1. We have a member of the family named Joe so we call them sloppy Pets.

    roguedutchovencookers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails