Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 314: Cajun Chicken Pasta

Just for the record, I cooked this out in my garage in a snow storm.  Yep, a snow storm.  I'm glad this dish cooked fast, because I was freezing!  (Of course if I would quit wearing sandals outside I probably would have been warmer.)  That is one of the few things I won't miss when the year is over.

Today's recipe is one I found handwritten on a scrap of paper in the bottom of my recipe pile.  I haven't got a clue where I got it, but it sounded good, so here it is.

Cajun Chicken Pasta
12" dutch oven

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into thin strips
4 tsp. Cajun seasoning (I used Tony Chachere's)
4 Tbs. butter or margarine
1/2 sweet red pepper cut into strips
1/2 sweet green pepper cut into strips
8 large mushrooms, sliced (I left these out--no fungus here)
2 green onions, sliced
2-3 cups whipping cream
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. lemon pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
12 oz. linguine,cooked and drained
Grated Parmesan cheese

Place the chicken and Cajun seasoning in a resealable plastic bag and toss to coat.  In a dutch oven, over a full spread of coals, saute the chicken in butter until almost cooked.  Add the peppers, mushrooms and onion.  Cook and stir for about 5 minutes.  Remove about 1/4 of the coals.  Add the cream and seasonings and heat through.  Add the linguine and heat through.  Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.  serves 4-6.

The Finished Product


I miss using my nice serving dishes.  Sigh!  So we used them last night.

The Review

I wasn't sure how this was going to taste, but it was delish!  My 5 older kids loved it, and the 2 youngest hardly eat anything anyway, so they don't really count.  (Ha Ha!)  It isn't super spicy, but it leaves a nice little burn in the back of your throat.  You can adjust the heat by using more or less Cajun seasoning, so if you like it mild its not a problem.  My only complaint is that the cream sauce was too thin.  Next time I'll use a little of the roux I keep in the back of the fridge to thicken it up just a little.  Overall, it was yummy!  Grade A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails