Saturday, November 20, 2010

Day 323: Yummy Coffee Cake

My kids love having something to eat when they come home from school.  In fact, if I don't have something ready they swear they're going to die!  Something like this coffee cake is perfect.  I can make it early in the day and have it ready when they come home starving.

Yummy Coffee Cake
12" dutch oven

3 3/4 cups flour
3/4 sugar
3 Tbs. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 cup shortening (I was out so I used butter)
1 3/4 cups milk
3 eggs

Topping:

2/3 cup flour
1/2 cup softened butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Sift the dry ingredients.  Cut in shortening until crumbly.  Add the milk and mix well.  Pour into a greased dutch oven.  In another bowl, combine the topping ingredients and mix until butter is crumbly.  Spread on top of cake batter.  Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Use 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Serves 10.

The Finished Product


The Review

As far as coffee cakes go, this was just okay.  The topping ended up on the bottom of the cake, but it was nice and moist.  This is one that even though I liked it, I probably won't make it again just because there are better coffee cake recipes out there.  Grade B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails