Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 165: Sweet Potato Fries

I've recently learned to like sweet potatoes.  Now I'm trying to help my kids to like them.  They are so nutritious that they really should be part of every one's diet.  I've been trying to introduce the sweet side of sweet potatoes and now we are going for savory.  I've seen recipes for these all over the Internet in the last few months, but do you think I could find on last night?  So I just made up my own.

Sweet Potato Fries
14" dutch oven

Sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into fries
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Chipotle seasoning

Toss fries with olive oil.  Spread out in your dutch oven in a single layer.  Sprinkle with desired seasonings.  Bake at 450* for 20-30 minutes or until fries are soft.  I used 3 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom or 26 coals on top and 14 on the bottom. 

The Finished Product


The Review

My kids really liked these.  The only complaint they had was that they weren't crispy.  That's it.  I was ready for a fight to get them to eat.  The chipotle seasoning added a little zip that was nice, but you could use any spices you want.  I was thinking curry powder would be good too.  They are good with both ketchup and fry sauce.  (For you poor souls that don't know what fry sauce is...google it!  Its a local favorite!)  I used 2 large sweet potatoes and it wasn't enough.  My 2 year old didn't eat anything but these fries.  Once again, I cooked some indoors and some outdoors.  Needless to say, the dutch oven fries won again.  These will receive an encore appearance at our house!  Grade B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails