Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day 163: Cream Biscuits

I've been going over recipes from the Arkansas Dutch Oven Society's site.  If you remember, I was asked to judge the dessert recipe contest.  I have to laugh, I was at the Arkdos site today and they announced they are having a dutch oven celebrity judge the contest.  They can't be talking about me, can they?  I'm just a gal muddling my way through learning something new! 

I've narrowed the recipes down and I have several on my short list.  I'm going to spend next weekend making my favorites and picking the winner.  If you haven't visited their site yet, you really should.  There are a lot of great pics from their DOG (dutch oven gathering) events and the recipes alone are worth the trip to the site.  You can check it out at this link.  I have also added a permanent link in my blog roll in the right hand column.

I haven't made biscuits for a while, so I thought it was time to try them again.  They were still a struggle last time, and heat was still an issue.  I'm happy to report that I am no longer struggling with either of them.  Heat has become much easier and so have biscuits.  I found this recipe here.

Cream Biscuits
12" dutch oven

3 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the surface
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (I used whipping cream)

Mix two cups flour, the baking powder, salt and (if using) sugar into a large bowl. Fold in 1 1/4 cups cream. If the dough is not soft or easily handled, fold in the remaining 1/4 cup cream, little by little.  I used the full 1 1/2 cups of cream.

Turn the dough onto a floured surface, mound it into a ball and, using your hands, gently press it to a thickness of about 3/4 inch. It does not need to be completely smooth across the top. Cut into rounds, 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Gather dough scraps and continue to make rounds. Place the biscuits in a lightly greased dutch oven and brush with butter. Bake at 425* using 2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom or 21 coals on top and 10 on the bottom.  Bake until golden, 12 to 15 minutes (Mine took more like 20-22 minutes).  Makes 10-12 biscuits.

The Finished Product

Perfectly browned bottoms!

The Review

I have found my new favorite biscuit recipe--hands down!  These were amazing!  They were light, fluffy, flaky, soft and delicious.  Its to bad I'm out of cream or I would make another batch right now.  You really have to try these.  I'm thinking biscuits and gravy.  This will go in my tried and true file.  Grade A.

1 comment:

  1. yummmmm~~ i wish my oven was good enough to even attempt making it!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails