Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Day 172: Baked Potato Skins

I've been trying to figure out what to cook for the cook off this weekend.  I think I've just about settled on a menu, finally.  This is such a small town cook off that I'm not sure how gourmet to go.  I don't want to go there and show everyone up just because I do this everyday.  Okay, so maybe I do, but still...  They are having 4 categories: main dish, bread, vegetable and dessert.  Obviously this won't be an IDOS sanctioned event, but there will be some pretty good prizes, and I could use another 12" dutch oven, at least.  I think I'll enter the main dish, bread and dessert, for sure.  That is going to be a lot of work by myself, but if I can think of a good veggie that is really easy I may throw that one in too.  I'll post my entries on Saturday morning.  I wouldn't want to give any of my competition to much of a heads up!  LOL!

I'm going to have some great desserts to post next week!  I'm still working on the dessert competition for the Arkansas Dutch Oven Society.  I have 2 more to try before I pick the winner.  I have been doing a TON of dutch oven cooking the last little while, so forgive me if I post some simple, easy, but yummy recipes for the next few days. 

Baked Potato Skins
DO size depends on how many you make

Russet potatoes, scrubbed and pierced with a fork
Shredded cheddar cheese
bacon crumbles
sour cream or ranch dressing

Bake the potatoes in your dutch oven at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until tender.  Remove from oven and allow to cool until they can be handled.  Cut each potato in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides leaving about 1/4" shell of potato.  Fill each potato with shredded cheese and bacon crumbles.  Return to oven and bake until cheese is melted and potatoes are heated through.  Top with sour cream or ranch dressing.

The Finished Product


The Review

Baked potatoes worked surprisingly well in the dutch oven.  I wasn't sure how well they would work, but I really shouldn't have doubted.  Everything seems to work better in the DO.  We had these with grilled steak and I loved not having to heat up my kitchen.  I didn't put quite enough cheese in mine, so next time I'll put more.  I also use store bought bacon crumbles since I was short on time.  This is a great side dish and the kids thought they were really fun.  We will make these again.  Grade A.

3 comments:

  1. Toni - you have done some great vegetable recipes on here. The Vegetable Tian on April 6 looked delicious and presented nicely as well. The Guiltless Baked Zucchini on April 17 sounded delicious and has some real possibilities for a stellar presentation too. Here is a really simple vegetable dish - very colorful, depending on what veggies you use:
    Dutch Oven Vegetables

    8 cups mixed fresh vegetables, cut into bite size pieces (broccoli, cauliflower, baby carrots, mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, zucchini, squash)
    1/4 lb. butter, cut into pats
    8 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
    8 oz Parmesan cheese, grated
    Salt
    Pepper

    Put 1/4" water in 12" Dutch oven and add vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Place pats of butter on top of vegetables. Put Dutch oven on about 20 hot coals until vegetables are steaming, remove half the coals. Steam until carrots are tender. Remove oven from heat, remove water (a baster works well for this) and sprinkle cheese over vegetables. Replace lid and serve when the cheese is melted.
    Good luck this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A couple of months ago I went to my first cookoff as an observer, this was a small town affair and I was amazed at the amount of detail many went to here is a link to some pictures http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Rpz7LSboeQ
    I can see it would aways be hard to judge what would be popular and what wouldnt - do do some great stuff I hope you get some photos to share its hard work when you doing it all yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat--Thanks for reminding me about the vegetable tian. That would be a beautiful dish to make, and it is really easy. I think I will try the recipe you left tomorrow night!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails