Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day 351: Vegetable Stuffing Bake

Its been a big day at our house!  We've spent the better part of the day digging out from under almost 20 inches of snow and its still coming down!  This storm was supposed to be rain, boy did Mother Nature fool us!  But its been an absolute blast.  The kids have built snow men, snow forts and igloos.  They've been in and out of the house a dozen times to toss their winter gear in the dryer, warm up and get ready to go out again.  And I'm looking forward to the homemade Raspberry Hot Chocolate that we'll have later!  The biggest plus is that we are almost guaranteed a white Christmas!  Hooray!  The down side is trying to cook in all the snow.  But even that's not a big deal--I like the challenge.

Today's recipe is a vegetable side dish.  I think I did something similar early in the year.  I've tried so many new dishes that I forget what I've done and what I haven't.   This is a variation of the earlier recipe.  It comes from a Taste of Home magazine.

Vegetable Stuffing Bake
10" dutch oven

1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
1 cup processed cheese sauce
8 oz. frozen cauliflower, thawed
8 oz. frozen corn, thawed
8 oz. frozen broccoli, thawed
8 oz. frozen carrots, thawed
1 (6 oz.) pkg. cornbread stuffing  mix, divided

In a dutch oven over a full spread of coals, saute the onion in oil until tender.  Stir in the soup and cheese sauce until blended and heated through.  In a large bowl, combine the vegetables and 1 cup of the stuffing mix.  Add to the soup mixture and mix well.  Sprinkle with the remaining stuffing mix.  Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and the edges are bubbly.  Serves 6-8.

The Finished Product



The Review

This was pretty good.  It was simple and loaded with veggies.  I liked that it wasn't overly soupy or saucy.  All of my kids liked it and some even went back for seconds.  Grade B+.

1 comment:

  1. Are you doing chapter two next year? Just kidding! You have done a good, no, great job, and I would like to thank you. Keep the old pots hot, and I will keep checking in on you to see what you do next.
    Ron Clanton
    The Outlaw Gourmet

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails