Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Day 358: Cheesy Mushroom Chicken

I can't believe the year is almost over!  I can't believe I've cooked in my dutch ovens every day this year--sometimes more than once!  I'm not sure how I'm going to feel giving up the every day dutch oven thing.  I told my hubby I was going to take a month off in January, but he doesn't believe me.  He says I won't be able to leave them alone that long.  He's a smart man!  :)  But in a way, I'll be glad to be relieved of the pressure of blogging everyday and trying to find new recipes.  But I'm looking forward to trying some new and exciting things and experimenting more.  Since I was feeding a family I couldn't do too much experimenting because we had to be able to eat every night.  But next year I'm going to experiment a lot.  I hope you'll keep reading and cooking right along with me.

Today's recipe is one I cooked sans recipe.  Its basically a skillet cordon bleu, and I'm sure everyone has a version of this one, but today you're getting mine!  :)  Before I forget, I have to thank my daughter for letting me use her camera!

Cheesy Mushroom Chicken
12" dutch oven

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 cups crushed butter flavored crackers
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
4 Tbs. butter or margarine, divided
4 slices ham
4 slices smoked provolone cheese

Flatten the chicken to about 1/4 inch thickness.  Place the egg in a shallow bowl.  Combine the cracker crumbs and salt in another bowl.  Dip the chicken in egg then in the cracker crumbs and set aside.

In a 12" dutch oven over a full spread of coals, saute the mushrooms in 2 Tbs. butter until tender.  Remove and set aside.  Add the remaining butter to the dutch oven.  Add the chicken.  Cook for 5-6 minutes on each side or until browned.  Cover and move enough coals to the lid to bring the oven to 350° (1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom).  Bake for about 10 minutes or until juices run clear.  Remove the lid and place a slice of ham, mushrooms and a slice of cheese on each breast.  Cover and cook until the cheese is melted.  Serves 4.

The Finished Product


The chicken is hiding under there somewhere!

The Review

This was absolutely delicious!  I took one bite and was hooked.  I wish I'd made a few extra.  The butter flavored crackers really add a nice flavor and texture.  They were the perfect coating.  And be sure to use the smoked cheese, you won't be sorry.  This got rave reviews from the whole family.  You need to go to the store and make this tonight!  Grade A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails