Thursday, December 8, 2011

Breton Apple Cake



I've got a really good recipe for you today!  I've had this recipe for a while and I'm so glad I finally got around to making it.  I know I have other versions of apple cake posted, but this one is a little different.  Instead of apple cake, this is apples with cake in it.  The batter is really light and fluffy thanks to the beaten egg whites.

Now, you'll notice that there isn't a drop or cinnamon in this bread.  Normally, I'm a spiced apple cake gal, but this just tasted fresh.  You can certainly add any spices you want, but I thought it was perfect in its simplicity.



Breton Apple Cake
10" dutch oven
 
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
3 large eggs, separated
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced

Lightly grease a 10" dutch oven

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, followed by the vanilla extract and the yogurt. Sift in flour, baking powder and salt and mix just until all ingredients are well combined and no streaks of flour remain. Batter will be quite thick.

In a medium bowl, beat egg whites to stiff peaks. Stir about half of the egg whites into the cake batter (you can use an electric mixer on “low” to stir) to lighten the batter, then gently mix in the remaining egg whites.

Fold in apple slices.

Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake for 45-50 minutes, until cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with only moist crumbs attached.  Use 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.

Cool for at least 40 minutes before serving.

Cake can be eaten warm or at room temperature.

Serves 8

4 comments:

  1. That just sounds yummy, I'll have to try it. These days, simplicity is right up my alley, but here is "fresh simplicity", I'm lovin' it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to have run across your blog. I have been looking over the last few recipes and I will have to try some... they look great!
    I have cooked for years in cast iron on my wood cookstove but here in KY can only fire it for about 4 mo out of the year. I now have an RV and plan on doing some open fire cooking. I'll be following along!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this looks really yummy. My first thought was to add cinnamon and nutmeg, too, but I'll bet you're right. I'll bet the simplicity and freshness came through!

    I do think, however, that some ice cream on top would still be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My thoughts exactly Mark! Vanilla bean would hit the spot!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails