Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Day 125: Baked Garlic Rice Pilaf

We have a beautiful day on tap in my neck of the woods!  It is about time, too.  Today I get to go have some floral therapy.  A friend of mine owns a commercial greenhouse, and every spring I get to go play with the flowers.  It makes me happy and is cheaper than a shrink!  Then, I get to come home and cook in my dutch ovens!  Does it get better than that?  Maybe if I was cooking on the beach...
I saw today's recipe on a website I bumped into a while ago.  I forgot to bookmark it, so I did this from memory.  It is super simple, so have it with dinner tonight!

Baked Garlic Rice Pilaf
10" dutch oven

2 Tbs. butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup long grain white rice
2 1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Squeeze of lemon juice

In your DO, over about 15 coals, melt the butter.  Add the garlic and rice to the pot and cook until the rice is golden brown, about 4-5 minutes.  Stir in 1 cup of chicken broth, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.  Bake at 350*, using 12 coals on top and 8 on the bottom, for 25 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1 1/2 cups chicken broth and bake for another 45 minutes.  At this point, I put on new coals.  About 15 minutes before it is finished cooking, stir in a squeeze of lemon juice.  Serves 4-6.

The Finished Product


The Review

This was really good.  The rice was nice and sticky, and had a lot of garlic flavor.  I think next time I will cut down the garlic just a little bit.  This went great with the Asian entree I made.  I will make this again.  I think some slivered almonds would also be good in it.  My kids ate seconds and sometimes thirds of this one.  That is a glowing endorsement.  We gave it a B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails