Saturday, May 22, 2010

Day 141: Spicy Chicken with Broccoli

Hi everyone!  Sorry for the late post today, I just picked up my mom-in-law from the airport, and I'm finally home.  I'm sure all of you have better things to do on a Saturday anyway.  : )
I got this recipe from a Betty Crocker cookbook.

Spicy Chicken with Broccoli
12" dutch oven

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper
1 lb. broccoli
3 green onions with tops
1 hot green chili or 1 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
3 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 Tbs. brown bean sauce (I couldn't find this so I used soy sauce)
2 tsp. finely chopped garlic
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp finely chopped ginger root (I used ground ginger)

Cut the chicken in chunks and mix with cornstarch, salt and white pepper.  Refrigerate 20 minutes.
Cut up broccoli into chunks and boil in water for 1 minute; drain.  Immediately rinse in cold water; drain.  Cut green onions diagonally into 1 inch pieces. 
Heat your DO until very hot.  Add 3 Tbs. oil to coat the bottom of the DO.  Add the red pepper flakes, brown bean sauce, garlic, sugar and ginger root; stir fry for 10 seconds.  Add the chicken; stir fry 2 minutes or until chicken is white.  Add the broccoli and green onions; stir fry 1 minute or until broccoli is hot.  Serves 4.

The Finished Product


The Review

This was pretty good.  I used frozen veggies so I didn't have to precook the broccoli, so that made it easier.  I also couldn't find brown beans sauce, and I know that would have made the flavor even better.  I used 1/2 tsp. of hot pepper flakes because of my little kids.  The truth is I could have cooked some chicken, thrown in a bag of stir fry veggies, some stir fry sauce and pepper flakes and it would have been just as good.  Even though we like it, I probably won't make this again just because there are easier ways to do it, and when it comes to stir fry, the easier the better.  Grade C.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails