Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day 126: Italian Snack Bread with Caramelized Onions

Hi everyone!  I am now sitting at the public library thanks to my stupid computer.  What a time for it to try and die.  I've got someone who can hopefully fix it.  Keep your fingers crossed for me!  Since I have to hurry-- here is today's recipe.  Somehow, I always seem to make these flat breads.  My kids love them.  They even ate this with onions all over it!

Italian Snack Bread with Caramelized Onions
12" dutch oven

2 1/2 cups flour, divided
1 pkg. active dry yeast
2 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup warm water
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 egg, beaten
Topping:
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced onion
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp. dried rosemary, crushed
1 tsp. coarse salt, optional

In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, yeast, oregano and slat.  Stir in water, oil and egg; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.  Cover and let rest 10 minutes.  Pat into your greased DO.  In a 10" dutch oven, saute the onions in oil until tender.  I used 12-15 coals for this.  Spoon onions evenly over the dough.  Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.  Bake at 400* for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cut into squares and serve.  Serves 8.

The Finished Product

The Review

I really liked these.  The onions were a nice addition.  They gave the bread nice flavor, so did the herbs.  My kids even ate them.  I served these with Chicken Piccata, and it was yummy!  I'll make these again.  Grade B.

2 comments:

  1. Here is my get well soon card for your computer...

    The onions are a nice touch, can't wait to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Computers seem to be a never ending part of my life.

    Good thing you have a library with computer where you can keep all your fans up to date!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails