Thursday, May 20, 2010

Day 139: Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf

In the interest of full disclosure, I have a confession to make.  When I went to cook my dinner last night, I found that I only had 14 coals left.  That is just not enough to cook a 2 1/2 lb meatloaf for an hour.  So, in my shame, I had to cook this, in my dutch oven, in my oven.  For some reason, cooking dinner wasn't as much fun.  It almost seemed a drudgery.  So I am off to the store this morning so we can kick Old Mother Hubbard out of the house, and get back to some real cast iron cooking.
I also have to let you know, that Kingsford charcoal and I are making amends.  I'm swallowing my pride, eating some crow and buying another bag today.  I have two reasons for doing this.  First, if I want to enter a cook off this summer, I better learn to use Kingsford. And second, as I thought about it, I think I let the frustration and my inexperience cloud my judgment.  I'll let you know how it all works out after I've used a bag or two!
On to today's recipe!  This is probably a recipe everyone already has, but since there wasn't much left in my fridge, this is what you get.  The meatloaf recipe is off the back of a box of Lipton Onion Soup, and I dressed it up with the toppings.

Bacon Cheeseburger Meatloaf
12" dutch oven

1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
2 lbs. ground beef
3/4 cup dry bread crumbs (I used oatmeal)
2 eggs
3/4 cup water (I used milk)
1/3 cup ketchup
6 bacon strips
BBQ sauce or ketchup
cheddar cheese
caramelized onions (french fried would work too)

In a large bowl, combine the soup mix, beef, bread crumbs, eggs, water and 1/3 cup ketchup.  Mix well.  Form into a loaf and put inside your dutch oven.  Top with bacon strips.  Bake at 350* for 45 minutes.  Top meatloaf with BBQ sauce or ketchup, cheese and onions and bake 10 minutes more or until meat is cooked through.  Serves 8.

The Finished Product

Sorry, I started cutting into it before I remembered to take a pic!

The Review

What is it about bacon that makes everything better?  This is the first time I've put bacon on meatloaf, and it won't be the last!  I've tried a lot of meatloaf recipes, and with the exception of the spinach stuffed one I did a while back, this is my favorite.  Even my kids liked it, and thats saying something.  This was a huge loaf, and even though there wasn't a bite left, the kids were still asking for more.  I think this will have to be my go to recipe for meatloaf.  Grade A-.

9 comments:

  1. You mention if you want to do cook-offs that you need to get used to Kingsford. What have you been using? As long as you are using charcoal, the brand shouldn't matter.

    I haven't commented in a while... but I sure do love reading your daily adventures. Maybe you should include a link to PayPal for donations? Every dollar counts when buying all that charcoal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ranes! I haven't heard from you--I though you were MIA.
    I have been using Sam's Choice from walmart. I haven't had any problems with it, but it does cook a little differently than Kingsford. For one, it is about twice the size of Kingsford, and I swear it burns hotter. I just used Kingsford today for the first time since February, I'll let everyone know what differences I find, and what I like best.

    I hadn't thought about a pay pal link, but I really hate begging! :) But I am going through a LOT of charcoal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This meal went over well at my house. I thought it was going to make quite a bit, but between the four of us I barely had any for leftovers. Guess that's a good sign. Keep 'em comin!.. this is my second meal ever in a DO, and the first was my anonymous post on the Monterrey Chicken. I find that your recipes are better than the cookbook I bought! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much! I'm glad you are having success with the recipes, I sweat bullets over what to post. Keep cooking, it only gets easier and more fun! As soon as the rain stops I'm going to try a crepe cake! I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toni,
    Come to Carson City June 11 12 and 13 and do your blog ad a demo! then on Sunday you can cook in the cook off! You can camp all 3 days with us if you and your family would like to!
    pm me for more info
    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this last night it was fantastic!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this in the oven right now. I tried it in the Dutch oven but burnt it. My first time using a Dutch Oven! It smelled sooo good!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails