Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day 130: Country Potato Chowder

Good Morning everyone!  I'm running late this morning (shocking, I know), so just a quick post!
I got this recipe from a Taste of Home magazine.  It has been cold and rainy here and I saw that as an excuse to make soup one more time before summer comes, which should be tomorrow.

Country Potato Chowder
12" dutch oven

6 bacon strips, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 celery ribs, chopped
1/4 cup flour
1 quart half and half
4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 cubes
2 cans cream of celery soup
2 Tbs. dried parsley flakes
1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. season salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup fresh or frozen green beans, cut into 2" pieces
1 can cream style corn

In your dutch oven, over 18-20 coals, cook the bacon until crisp; remove from pot and drain on paper towels.  Drain all but 2 Tbs. of the grease.  In the drippings, saute the onion and celery until tender.  Sprinkle with flour and stir until blended.  Gradually add the cream.  Stir in the potatoes, soup, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt and pepper.  Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute.  Reduce heat (I took a few coals off); cover and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add the carrots and beans.  Cover and simmer 15 minutes longer or until the vegetables are tender.  Stir in the corn and bacon, heat through.  I added about 10 coals for the last 15 minutes of cooking.  Serves 12.

The Finished Product


The Review

This was pretty good.  It wasn't my favorite soup ever.  It also took a lot longer to cook than the recipe shows.  We were all starving by the time it was ready.  I certainly have better veggie soup recipes and I probably won't make this again.  If I do, it will be one of those "once every couple of years" recipes.  It was kind of a pain since it took so long to cook. I was disappointed.  This soup gets a C-.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails