Thursday, May 27, 2010

Day 146: Cordon Bleu Lasagna...and Crow

Guess what?  Last night I used Kingsford and I got it to work.  I've decided that I can't count coals with it.  They just don't put out enough heat for any of the coal counting formulas to work for me.  They do, however, work brilliantly with the Dinwiddie ring method.  I know most people have no idea what that is, and I'll do an entire post on it as soon as I've used it a few more times.  I've actually known about the ring method for a while, but coal counting has always worked just fine so I never really bothered to try it much.  I'm really glad I did because the ring method is much easier than coal counting and I'm sure it can be used with any size/brand of charcoal on the market.  So, here I am, totally willing to admit I'm wrong, eat a little crow and keep using Kingsford.  I even emailed Kingsford and told them of my new discovery.  There you have it!  My frustrations are at an end.  You could even say that I've entered a whole new era of dutch oven cooking! 


There I am.  Mmmmm...crow is tasty!

Cordon Bleu Lasagna
12" dutch oven

3 boneless skinless chicken breasts. cooked and cubed
12-15 lasagna noodles
1/2 lb, shredded or cubed ham

Sauce:

1 cup butter or margarine
3/4 cup flour
3 cups milk
2 1/4 cups heavy cream or half and half
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
2 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 Tbs. fresh or dried parsley

Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions; drain and set aside.  Melt the butter in a 12" DO.  I put as many coals under the oven as I could fit.  Add the flour and cook and stir for 1 minute.  Add the milk, cream or half and half, and broth.  Cook until it begins to boil, stirring constantly.  This took a few minutes.  Add the Parmesan and parsley and stir until cheese is melted.  Remove from heat and scoop out most of the sauce into a bowl.  You want to leave a thin layer on the bottom of the DO.  Layer noodles, chicken, ham and sauce.  Repeat 3 times ending with the sauce.  Bake at 350* for 30-35 minutes.  Use 14 coals on top and 10 on the bottom or 1 1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Serves 8.

The Finished Product




The Review

I was really surprised by how good this was.  I got a little worried as I was putting it together, but it was good.  It makes a TON of sauce.  More than you'll need unless you want yours really saucy.  Next time I will add a little more chicken and ham.  My kids all went back for seconds and thirds.  That smells like a success in my book!  I will definitely be making this again.  Grade B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails