Friday, February 19, 2010

Day 51: Southwestern Spaghetti

Today is the big day to announce the winner of the WCC cookbook. The winner was drawn at random from everyone who commented on Wednesday's post. Could I have a drum roll please....And the winner is....Will Shattuck!! Will shared his recipe for Blueberry Dump Cake. His recipe will be making an appearance here very soon! Thanks to everyone who commented. It was fun to read them, and I will try to use each recipe that was posted. Will, if you will just email me with your address (the link is on the right), I will get that out to you!

Before I give you the recipe today, I have to show you what it looked like when I went outside to cook! I don't know if you can see all the snowflakes. It was really cool, especially since we haven't had much snow this winter, just a lot of cold!


On to today's recipe! Friday nights are busy at my house. My hubby works and I just started taking Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University class every Friday night. So I have to make quick meals that my kids will like. Recipes like that can be hard to find, but this one went over pretty well.

Southwestern Spaghetti
10" dutch oven

12 oz. uncooked spaghetti
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 jar spaghetti sauce
1 4 1/2 oz. jar mushrooms, drained (I left these out)
1 2 1/4 oz. can sliced olives, drained
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream and salsa
Cook the spaghetti according to package directions. I cheated and cooked the spaghetti inside because of the snow. Meanwhile, in your DO cook the beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain if necessary. I used about 15 coals for this. Stir in the taco seasoning, spaghetti sauce, mushrooms and olives. Drain the spaghetti; stir into the beef mixture. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until heated through. Mine took about 15 minutes. Serve with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and salsa. 8 servings.
The Finished Product

The Review

This one won't win any awards, but it was pretty good. The flavor was different, but the taco and spaghetti flavors went together better than I thought they would. My kids loved it. We didn't use any of the garnishments suggested in the recipe. Lettuce on spaghetti is just weird. It would be an easy camping recipe, and would go well with cornbread. I give this one a B.

5 comments:

  1. Try this with my Tomato up-side down Cornbread. They would pare very well. Also see me rain day cover on Roguedutchovencookers.blogspot.com
    Keep it up Toni, this is a big help to many, and fun for all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron- That recipe is definitely on my "to try" list. I found it on your blog the other day. You will see it here soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks Good! Reminds me of my Mother's Oven Spaghetti. Although she didn't use the taco seasoning but cooked her nooodles raw in the oven with the spaghetti sauce. I've enjoyed following your blog. And I did make your Corn Chowder on the stove....turned out great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ron, I love the DO cover! Having lived in the Williamete valley for 18 years I can relate to cooking in the rain.
    Toni, thanks for letting me enter the cooking recipe contest. I hope you try the chicken recipe I posted. It is delicious. I am enjoying the daily posts and still learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Toni,

    Life has been hectic for me. I just saw that I won. I have sent you my mailing information. Thanks again for the contest. :)

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails