Saturday, February 27, 2010

Day 58: Make Ahead Spoon Rolls

Yesterday I told you I would take some pictures of where I have been cooking for the last 2 months. I'm sure the anticipation has been killing you. Trust me, it really is pretty primitive. But then DO cooking is too! I started this whole project with very little in the way of equipment, and I haven't had too much trouble getting good results. You don't need anything fancy. It is more convenient to have your pots up off the ground, but it isn't necessary. I am really looking forward to getting my cook table next week. It will make cooking a lot easier. But don't wait to learn to use your pots just because you don't have "the equipment". Honestly, dutch ovens, charcoal, lid lifter, metal tongs and aluminum foil will get you started. So no more excuses!


Today's recipe was really easy and fun! These rolls would take the place of bread sticks with just about any dish. I found this at Real Mom Kitchen.
Make Ahead Spoon Rolls
DO size depends on how many you make
1 envelope active dry yeast
1 tsp. sugar
2 cups warm water
4 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
1 egg
2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
Combine the first 3 ingredients and let them stand 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix just until moistened. The batter will be thick and sticky. Spoon into greased muffin pans 2/3 full. Bake at 400* for 20 minutes or until golden. I used a 12" DO with 19 coals on top and 10 on the bottom. I preheated my DO for about 8-10 minutes before I put them in. I also used foil cupcake liners and just sat them in the bottom of my DO. Makes about 24.
If you don't have self-rising flour you can use this substitute:
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
Add this for each cup of all purpose flour used.
The Finished Product

The bottoms were a nice golden brown.


What I Learned

Do not use paper muffin cups. I baked some of these indoors as well using the paper liners, and the bottoms came off stuck to the liners. So either use the foil liners or just skip the liners and spray your muffin cups.

The Review

These were really good. They were a cross between a bread and a muffin. They were moist and nicely seasoned. They would make a good alternative to bread sticks. The batter can also be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for a week! I also loved that the ones cooked in my DO turned out better than the ones I cooked indoors. I will take this recipe camping this summer because it is so easy. I will be making these again! Grade: B+

2 comments:

  1. Toni,
    Just be very aware that cooking with briquettes directly on concrete will make the concrete brittle and break away. I metal oil drip pan or hog feed pan inverted is better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is good to know. I never thought of that! Maybe even the extra cinder blocks I have laying around would work too.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails