Monday, May 3, 2010

Day 123: Monterrey Chicken

Sorry about posting this late.  I've been having some computer problems, and apparently duct tape won't help.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that this old dinosaur won't die.  That would be very, very bad! 
I made another recipe that would be in my top ten list.  It is a variation of the Smothered Chicken I did a while ago.  This time I used home made BBQ sauce, and it was really good!  I combined a couple of recipes to get this one.  The BBQ sauce recipe came from Picky Palate.

Monterrey Chicken
10" dutch oven

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
4 bacon strips, cooked crisp and crumbled
1 cup BBQ sauce (recipe below)
2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
2 green onions, sliced
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

Cook the bacon in your dutch oven until crisp.  I used about 18 coals for this.  Set aside to drain on paper towels.  Drain all but about 1 Tbs. of grease.  Salt and pepper the chicken on both sides and add to the DO.  Bake at 350*, using 12 coals on top and 8 on the bottom, for about 20-25 minutes.  Smother the chicken in BBQ sauce on both sides and return to the DO for another 5 minutes or until they are cooked through.  Evenly top each breast with bacon and cheese.  Cook for about 5 minutes to let the cheese melt.  Top each breast with green onions and tomatoes.  Serves 4.

BBQ Sauce

1 1/4 cups ketchup
3 Tbs. Dijon Mustard
4 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbs. apple cider vinegar
1 Tbs. lemon juice
3 Tbs. brown sugar
1 tsp. fresh cracked black pepper
1 tsp. honey

Combine all ingredients and mix well.

The Finished Product



The Review

These were oh, so good.  I could eat them everyday.  I really should have made more, even though I doubled the recipe, there still wasn't enough.  The BBQ sauce is my new "go to" sauce.  It is simple to make, and tastes great.  This is another recipe that should be on your "must try" list.  Everyone should make this at least once, but I will guarantee that once won't be enough!  Of course, this gets an A!

3 comments:

  1. yeah the sauce does look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened to come upon your blog yesterday, and boy am I glad I did. These were excellent! I'm always cautious when I eat chicken (due to a childhood experience), but when I cut into these, they were juicy and perfectly done. The sauce was excellent. KUDOS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did this last night with rave reviews. Everything turned out great. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails