Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day 132: Apple Dumplings

I'm in a hurry to get outside and enjoy the beautiful weather we are finally having.  I have a room full of plants that are desperate to be planted, and I can't wait to plant them.  The garden beckons! 
I really should have saved this recipe for fall when apples are in season, but these dumplings looked too delicious to pass up.  This recipe comes from the Pioneer Woman.

Apple Dumplings
12" dutch oven

2 whole Granny Smith Apples
2 cans (8 Oz. Cans) Crescent Rolls
2 sticks Butter
1-½ cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla
Cinnamon, To Taste
1 can (12 Oz.) Mountain Dew Soda

Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 12"  buttered dutch oven.
In an 8" or 10" DO, melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. You will only need a few coals for this, I used 8, since you only need to melt the butter, not cook the mixture.  Add vanilla and stir, you want the mixture lumpy and grainy, so just barely stir.  Pour entire mixture over apples. Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees, using 10 coals on the bottom and 14 on top, for 40 minutes, or until the tops are golden. Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top.  Serves 8.

The Finished Product


The Review

Oh, they were sweet.  They were gooey. They were delicious.  They were easy.  They were perfect.  They need to be made regularly.  Really, they do.  These were so easy, they would be a great camping dessert.  I might have spent 10 minutes putting them together, and it took a lot less time than that to devour them.  They are really rich, so ice cream is a must.  I will be making these again!  Grade A.

5 comments:

  1. This is one of my FAV's! I make it in the oven though :) Cant wait to try in the DO. We lvoed our cookie dessert and chuck wagon dinner. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff! I have also made this after reading it on Ree's blog. My fishing buddies sure liked it at the potluck dinner.

    Big John

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the name!! im sure it tastes just as good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always a BIG hit with anyone who tries it....

    ReplyDelete
  5. katrina ihms-rogersonDecember 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM

    I've tried Ree's recipe in the oven and got great reviews from my family. Now I would love to try it camping. Even tho It's only Dec 2013 I'm already thinking ahead. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails