Friday, May 28, 2010

Day 147: Mexican Lasagna

I have used the Dinwidde ring method for 2 days now, and I have to say I really like it.  I kind of count coals just to make sure I'm not starting way to many.  I can tell you I use 34 Kingsford coals to get my 12" oven to 350*.  I've checked out every Internet site that has anything to say about it so I can be sure to use it properly.  Its great because I don't have to have a chart to tell my how many coals to use.  I use anywhere between 1 and 2 1/2 rings.  Is is just so simple!  If I had known about this method for figuring heat from the beginning, I wouldn't have had nearly as many heat problems.  I'll do a post on how to use this method next week!  On to today's recipe.

Have you ever had one of those days where you look at the clock, realize you have to leave in an hour and you have no idea what to make for dinner?  Then you make something you really aren't in the mood for just because its fast and easy.  That was yesterday.  I can't believe I made 3 different kinds of lasagna in one week.  Good thing my hubby was working and my kids don't complain...much.  I found this recipe written in the back of one of my menu/grocery list notebooks. 

Mexican Lasagna
12" dutch oven

1 Lb. ground beef
1/2 onion chopped
1 jar spaghetti sauce
16 oz. Cottage cheese
1 egg
1/2 pound grated Mozzarella cheese
1/2 pound grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
1 package corn tortillas (about 12 tortillas)

Brown hamburger and onion in your DO and drain well.  I put as many coals as I could underneath my oven.
Combine with the spaghetti sauce. In large bowl combine beaten egg, and all the cheeses. Save a little of the Mozzarella and cheddar for the topping.  Remove all the sauce into a bowl, except enough to just cover the bottom of your oven.  Put a layer of the tortilla shells on the bottom of your DO. Tear them to fill in all the spaces. Then add a layer of sauce and a layer of cheese. Repeat several times ending with the sauce and a topping of the grated cheese. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes. Use 14 coals on top and 10 on the bottom or 1-1/2 rings on top and 1 ring on the bottom.  Top with lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream and chopped olives as desired.

The Finished Product
 
It doesn't look any different than regular lasagna, but there are tortillas in there--I promise!
 
The Review
 
This was just okay.  It filled the empty spots in our bellies, but it isn't something I'm likely to make again.  I have to say, the corn tortillas did give it a "Mexican food" flavor.  Now if I was camping, this would probably taste really good.  It is super easy and can be done in 1 pot.  Add a bag of tortilla chips and you have a meal.  I'll have to give this recipe 2 grades.  As a meal at home it gets a C+.  As a camping meal I have give it a B+ because everything tastes better in the great outdoors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails