Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 199: Italian Meatloaf

Its been so hot here lately that I didn't want to make anything that would require me to spend any amount of time in front of hot coals.  Meatloaf is the perfect meal since you don't have to babysit it.  My kids have also acquired a taste for it since I always put more than just meat in it.  I found this one herehttp://www.cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com/2010/01/italian-meatloaf-rollatini.html.

Italian Meatloaf
12" dutch oven

For the Meatloaf:


1/3 cup Yellow onion, diced
1/3 cup Green Bell Pepper, diced
2 tablespoons Olive Oil, for sauteing
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 and 1/3 pound ground Sirloin
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup Seasoned Italian Bread Crumbs
1/3 cup Fresh Parsley, chopped
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon Chile powder
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
2 cups Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
3/4 cup Tomato, vine ripened, diced
1 cup Chopped Spinach, steamed

For the Topping:

Parmesan Cheese
Additional Mozzarella, if desired

In your dutch oven over a full spread of coals, saute the onion and green pepper in oil just until tender. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

 In a large bowl add all the ingredients for the meatloaf including the onion/pepper mixture. Use a fork to blend everything together.

 Form into a loaf in the dutch oven. Coat the top with ketchup and sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese. Bake about 45 minutes or until cooked through in the middle.

The Finished Product


The Review

I think this is my second favorite meatloaf recipe.  I know I've never kept my love of meatloaf and meatballs a secret, and I've only ever made one that I didn't like, so for this to be number 2 on my list is saying something.  Not only does it taste great, but it looks nice too.  The tomatoes are a really nice addition.  I didn't use the topping because I ran out of cheese and it was still good.  Most of my kids liked it, but I would call this one more of a grown up meal.  I gave this an A, my kids say B.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails