Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day 202: Pasta Primavera a la Summer

I've been trying to come up with new things to do with zucchini since I have it coming out of my ears.  I knew better than to put in 9 plants.  I think everyone is having the same problem.  I know pasta Primavera is traditionally a spring dish, but it just seems rude to leave summer veggies out of such a great dish.

Pasta Primavera a la Summer
12" dutch oven

1 lb pasta (I used vermicelli)
3 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
2-4 carrots
1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips  (I didn't have any so I left these out)
1 small bunch broccoli, cut into bite sized pieces
2 medium zucchini, sliced
3/4 cup peas (not thawed, if frozen)
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
zest and juice of one lemon

In a 12" dutch oven with a full spread of coals, begin cooking pasta according to package directions. Heat butter in another 10" or 12" dutch oven, over a full spread of coals.  Add onions, carrots,  garlic, and red bell pepper. Cook for five minutes. Stir in broccoli and zucchini. Cook until all vegetables are tender crisp. Add peas and remove from heat. Drain pasta and keep warm. In pasta pot, bring cream and broth just barely to a boil. Add cheese, and lemon juice and zest and season to taste with salt and pepper. Toss pasta with vegetable and cream sauce. Serve with extra Parmesan cheese on the side.  Serves an army!

The Finished Product


 Doesn't that look delicious!!

The Review

I love Pasta Primavera, but add summer veggies and I love it even more.  This was really easy to make despite the fact that it took 2 pots.  It was also really light.  I know that's hard to believe when the ingredients are heavy cream!  The lemon, as usual, brightened up the flavors of the veggies.  My family loved it, and my kids are eating the leftovers for breakfast as we speak.  I guess its healthier than Lucky Charms.  The kids gave this one an A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails