Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 198: Fresh Apple Cake

We had a BBQ last night, so I didn't have to cook any of dinner in the DO.  In fact, all I had to do was boil water for the corn on the cob while my hubby grilled the meat and veggies.  Add some sliced melon and we had a meal!  So, I made dessert DO style.  I did an apple cake recipe I got from Wayne Lybbert.  It helped that I had some apples in the fridge and cool whip in the freezer that needed to be used!

Fresh Apple Cake
12" dutch oven

1 C White Sugar
1/2 C Margarine
2 Eggs
1 C Flour (heaped)
2 C Shredded Apples (packed)
11/2 t Soda
 11/2 t Cinnamon
1/2 t Salt
1/2 C Chopped Nuts (walnuts or pecans--I left these out since I'm allergic)
1/2 C Brown Sugar

Cream together white sugar, shortening and eggs. Add flour, soda, salt and cinnamon. Beat until smooth. Fold in shredded apples. Pour into greased 12" dutch oven. Sprinkle top with brown sugar and nut mixture. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. Serve hot with ice cream or cool whip.

The Finished Product


The Review

Just looking at the batter I knew this would be good.  There looked like there was as much apple in the batter as anything else.  This ends up being a pretty thin cake, but it isn't short on flavor.  You don't have to worry about not getting an apple in every bite.  Next time I think I'll double it.  My family loved it, and it was quick and easy to put together!  If you need a dessert in a hurry, try this.  We gave this an A-.

No comments:

Post a Comment

print friendly

Related Posts with Thumbnails